Chapter 15: You Can't Give Up

Look out for the <>!

I spent time on my computer as I waited for Carter to come pick me up. As I surfed the web I remembered that I hadn't been on a laptop in days. I clicked on a pop up and suddenly my screen turned black.

With fear creeping into the back of my mind I resisted the urge to run. I wasn't about to jump into this side mission anymore. Auggie got shot because of it, they were after me because of it. What B26 was asking me to do was dangerous and I didn't feel like risking my life or others for the cause. B26 could find someone else for all I cared. I was not what he was looking for.

"Annalise" white letters appeared on the screen.

"What do you want?" I typed back angrily.

"I haven't heard from you. I was starting to get worried. I told you not to tell anyone," it typed back.

I had enough. I was getting lectured by a computer. I had no idea how he found out but about that I was starting to believe that B26 had as much power as MIA. I didn't want to participate in this turf war. I needed to break ties completely. He didn't need me. He could find someone else. "I thought I could trust him," I typed back.

"You know better now. You found the people?"

I almost forgot about that conversation I had with Raffaele. He said that MIA was dangerous. He was scared of them, living life in hiding. I didn't believe him, but now I did. I saw MIA's power and danger with my own eyes. "Yeah."

"Find out anything?"

"Yeah"

"Why are you just sitting around for? Do something then."

I shook my head. No. I wouldn't. I was done. I would find something else to make my grandmother proud. This was asking too much. I couldn't go forward with this. This should be someone else's job, not mine, a girl that no one took seriously. "I give up. It's too dangerous."

"WHAT! YOU CAN'T GIVE UP!"

I raised an eyebrow, a computer yelling at me, this was a first. "Who's going to stop me? You're not my father." I typed back angrily knowing that my father was laying six feet under in a local cometary.

There was a pause then he typed back. "I need you."

He could find someone else, someone that was better qualified. He needed someone with more skills. Honestly anyone in my department was probably more qualified then I was. "If you know so much why don't you do it yourself?"  I responded then turned off the PC then walked away.

I paced around the kitchen in anger. I ran my hand through my messy hair. Who were they to tell me what to do? So what if they needed me, they could find someone else. I didn't understand why they wanted me. Just like MIA wanted me. Was it because I was the grand daughter? Well, they should know that she didn't care about me as much as people though she did.

Breaking me from my thoughts was a knock on my door. I ran to answer it, looking for any distraction to clear my busy mind. On the other side of it was Carter with a large smile.

"Hey," I said and brushed some lose hair that fell out of my bun behind my ear.

His smile wavered. "Hey. I didn't bother did I?" Carter asked.

I shook my head. I rather be with him then talk to B26 any day. "No. I was doing nothing," I said as I gestured him to come inside.

He put his hands into his jean short pockets and smiled again. "Good. So I was thinking about going out to eat," he said once he came in.