Chapter 20: It's About Time

Look out for the <>!

I felt the sun on my face as I laid outside. I rubbed my hands against the fresh green grass and smiled. This was what summer was about. I could feel the sun hit my face as it warmed my whole body.  I could hear people laughing off to the side of me. It sounded busy. I had to be at a picnic.

"Hey Annalise."

I opened my eyes to Toby standing over me. I frowned at him, he was blocking the sun. "What are you doing here? You don't belong." I said surprised that he was here. I know I wanted closer but as I looked at him, all I could do was fear him.

I stood up and looked at him, bracing myself for an attack. He sent men after me. They were going to kill me. I took a step back as if he was a disease. Whoever's sick game this was sending him here, I was done with it already.

He laughed calmly like nothing was wrong. He reached for my hand but I pulled back. He had no right touching me. "This isn't a normal picnic, Annalise." He was talking to me like I was a child that was confused with school work.  "I don't work for the CIA and you don't either. This is MIA. I work here and you do to. Everyone does. The CIA is no more," he said sincerely, his deep blue eyes looking right into mine.

My breath caught in my throat. Everyone does? What happened to the CIA? What did MIA do to them? What if B26 was right? And I let them get away with it. I was right all along, I was a failure. I stepped away from B26 when he needed me.

I looked to my other side and saw Fabien smiling at me. "No, I don't work here, and I'll never work with you!"  I said looking at Fabien with disgust.

"You already do," Toby said and held my hand gently. "You see, you helped bring down the CIA. We couldn't have done it without you."

I shook my head. I couldn't breathe. He was wrong. He was lying. I loved the CIA, I would do nothing to hurt it. "No," I said and ripped my hand out of his. "And don't EVER hold my hand again," I yelled at him as I backed into a tree. It wasn't true. I didn't help them. This had to be a dream.  I closed my eyes waiting for it all to despair or change.

When I opened my eyes again, I saw that I wasn't sunbathing outside. I was inside a big room lying in a big comfy four poster bed with the sun shining in through the windows. I struggled to take a deep breath in feeling my chest burn.

Panic over took me. I passed out, MIA must have put me here. I wasn't safe. I had to get out. I tried to sit up but it hurt to move. "Aaggh," I said and wrapped my arms a little above my stomach for support. "Hello? Is anyone here?" I asked, my voice sounded weak and rough.

Within a minute Carter came running into the room. "Annalise," Carter stated with worry.

I nodded although my head spun. I was in a daze as I looked at him. I had no idea where we were and why I was here. This place was not home, it was not familiar to me. "Carter. Where are we?" I asked as my voice cracked.

"At my house," he said and opened the window to let in a summer breeze.

"Oh," I said as I felt my body melt into the bed. I was safe. The MIA didn't have me. I was here, with Carter, he had me.

"You gave me a scare Annalise. You broke a couple ribs and a couple of them were close to breaking."

He must have read my mind. I rubbed my side softly. That's why it hurt so badly. That guy, if I get my hands on him, he was going down. "How long was I asleep?"

"All night long. It's noon already. The doctor said you would sleep through the night but no one thought you would sleep this long. Everyone was worried about you."