Chapter 7: Named Himself

Look out for the <>!

DarlaH

I watched Auggie run down the hall of our office a few days later. His shirt slowly came untucked with every step he took and it brought a smile to my face. Knowing that he was coming to see him, I quickly closed all documents on my computer. I refused to let him see what I was working on.

I had been looking into bugs for a few days now. I kept try to find some kind of clue that would lead me to the next step but so far I had come across nothing. All the dead ends I was running into was leading me to believe that I was actually loosing my mind.

Of course computers didn't talk. How could I be so stupid into believing that they would talk to me?

Auggie leaned against my cubical wall and smiled widely at me. "So, I know something that you don't want me to."

I frowned, as panic took hold of me. Did he know what I was spending too much time researching about computer viruses'? "What?" I asked, fear thick in my voice.

"You went clubbing in New York," he said casually.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. That wasn't the worse thing he had found out about me. Auggie kept so many other deeper darker secrets about me that this wasn't anything to be concerned about.

"I was in charge of tracking you. Relax, I'm not going to spill the beans. But seriously, watch out, if any other person saw that, they wouldn't cover for you. You should know that by now," he lectured me as if I was a small child. I knew that Auggie didn't see me as incapable, but sometimes he did let things slip out as if he did. Regardless of his tone, he was right, going to the club was reckless.

I nodded. "I know. I'm sorry. I owe you." I don't know how he did it, but he always watched out for me, even when I wasn't watching out for myself.

He smiled lightly. "I know," he said then turned around and walked back to his office.

I let out a chuckle, knowing that he was going to hold that over my head for a while. I probably would have to pay him back in food and that was a price I was willing to pay. With no one in sight, I turned back to my computer and started to work again.

Week's passed by with no new leads about the virus or the word B26. By now, the memory of the talking computer was failing to be a driving source for my research. I was just convinced that this was a joke to help me loose my mind.

It wasn't until I was walking down the halls when I found a key bit of information that was so obvious that I felt incredibly daft. As I walked down the isles, I noticed that every cubical on my floor was listed as B and because that it was numbered 1 though 82.

I felt my heart race in my chest as realization hit me. B26 was a cubical, here. That was why the computer talked to me, because we were on the same floor. I rounded a corner and walked down isle as my eyes scanned the numbers on the cubical walls. B30, B29, B28.... suddenly, I found it. I stopped right in front of the old dusty B26 cubical, and smiled.

I looked around myself, making sure no one was around. Seeing that the coast was clear, I walked into the cubicle and I sat down in the old dusty chair in front of the computer. I blew off the thick layer of dust that was on the screen and imminently, letters started appearing on the screen.

"It took you long enough."  It typed out.

I frowned at the screen. So it had sass. I typed back quickly to the screen. "What do you want from me?"

"That bug that you fixed is only the beginning. There is a group working in the CIA that's trying to bring it down from the inside."

I frowned. On the other end of this screen was some stranger that was saying some serious things. If they believed that the CIA was crumbling, why did they want me? If this group was such a threat, my grandmother had to have known about it already. "You're lying."