Chapter 24: They Need A Reason

Hi guys! Here is the song for the chapter. I have loved this band forever now but I feel like this song perfectly sums Annalise and her grandmother's relationship.

I hope you enjoy!

Darla

The next day I found myself sitting at my desk sorting through all my emails quickly. The only motivation I had was to finish up then look at the photos that I took the day before. Finally, after countless emails sent, I had an empty mail box. I smiled, happy with my job then pulled the photos  from my purse to looked at them with a clear mind.

There had to be something more that I was missing. I knew there were clues before me but I couldn't see them. Time moved on and after a while, I felt myself fall into despair. I had spend hours looking at the photos and I was coming up empty handed. I started to think that maybe I was crazy, maybe there wasn't anything and I was just wasting my time at this bank.

I ran my hands through my hair, causing it to fall out of the loose bun I put it in earlier that morning. I was loosing my mind looking at this expecting something different to come out of them. That though suddenly flew out of my mind when my eyes stopped on a shadow in the corner of one of the photos. I squinted as I tried to get a better look. The more I stared at it the more it looked like a man, a man I knew, maybe if only I could.....

"Hey," Auggie said from behind me.

The sound of his voice caused me to jump from my seat and my pictures went flying to the ground.

"Oh I'm sorry, I should have coughed," Auggie said as he got on the ground to help me pick up pictures.

"No it's ok. I'm the one that's jumpy," I said and got down on my hands and knees as well to clean up the mess.

Auggie looked at one of the photos. "Why does this say new beginning?" he asked as he held a picture of the bank's sign.

"That's what it means?" I asked, now things were starting to make sense. MIA was a new beginning. They wanted the CIA to crumble and when they did, MIA would rise from the ashes.

"Yeah, novus suscipio means new beginning in Greek."

"You speak Geek, I mean Greek?" I asked a I quickly corrected myself in amazement.

He laughed easily then said, "I yes not only do I speak Greek but I also speak geek."

"That's not what I meant," I said folding my arms against my chest.

He smiled. "I'm giving you a hard time. But anyhow, I do, just a bit. Why where you looking at these photos?" he asked as he picked up another photo and looked at it.

I looked around us carefully. Even though we were in a privet place, talking about MIA here wasn't safe. But I felt like he needed to know, we were dating. I didn't want to keep secrets in our relationship, like Toby and I had. If he stabbed me in the back like Toby, at least I would know that he wasn't worth it. "It's a long story, can I tell you after work?"

"You mean on our date?" he asked with a wink.

I nodded, for our first official date, this would be romantic. "Yeah? At 5:00, we can leave right after work."

"Sure," he said as he handed me the rest of the photos.

I took them and put them back into my purse under my desk, away from prying eyes. "So what were you coming to talk to me about?"

"You're grandmother needs to talk to you. I said I would get you because that gave me an excuse to get away from work and see you," he said and smiled.