Chapter 2: No one else knew

Song is for the start of the Chapter!

I pulled on my shirt as I walked into Langley. I tried to make sure to walk a little straighter. I wanted everyone to think that I was brimming with confidence.

I was one of the youngest people that worked here and even though I was skilled and deserved my spot here, people still talked about me behind my back. They thought I was too young, or a kiss up because I worked under my grandmother. But little did they know that with every gun shot at me and by me, I earned my spot, just like they did.

I wouldn't say those passing looks and stories didn't hurt. That was one of the reasons why I had very few friends. I had a lot of trust issues and when you work with spies, you're bound to have them.

As I swiped my card to get pass the lobby, I was sure to keep my head low. I did not want to call any attention today. I was here to do my job and go home, just to repeat it again tomorrow. I was in no mood to fake liking these people around me.

Breaking me from my thoughts was when someone called out to me. "Hey Annalise!" a guy said as he ran up to me. 

I frowned. Of course my only birthday wish couldn't come true. I should have expected as much. I turned on the fakest smile I had as I looked at him. "Oh, hi Carter," I said with a pleasant smile as if I wanted to see him.

Carter was one of those guys that was handsome and he knew it. He stood tall with confidence, his blonde hair styled almost perfectly, and his blue eyes shined like the sea. Of course I thought he was attractive but he was as dangerous as a shark. He was cocky, stuck up and a jerk, so I kept my distance.

Just like me, his grandfather worked here, but what I couldn't understand was why no one made any rumors' about him. I was convinced it was because he was a man. In this line of work, they valued a man more then a woman like myself.

Most people here expected me to keep a desk job. But that wasn't me. I couldn't survive with a job like that. So I pushed my way through the murk of lies I dealt with.

"So I heard it was your birthday," he said and flashed a bright smile, trying to impress me.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. Why did he always want to talk to me? He could have any girl here, but yet he chose me. Maybe it was because he knew that I had a boyfriend. I was the forbidden fruit and he liked that. "Yeah, it is," I said as politely picked up my pace so I didn't have to talk to him for any longer.

"That's awesome; do you want to hang out tonight?" he asked and smiled the same confident smile that he was known for.

I stopped in mid-walk. Oh the nerve of him. I took a deep breath before I lost my cool. "I'm busy," I said, ending the conversation. I didn't want to spend one more second with him.

Carter stopped in his place as his smile slid off his face. One point for Annalise. "Oh, maybe next time."

I nodded as I started to walk away. "Bye carter," I said as I held back a smile as I got into the stairwell. I quickly hiked the stairs and got to my floor then ran to my cubical, hoping that my grandmother didn't realize I was ten minutes late.

With stacks of papers on either side of me, I started logging into the computer. My to do list today seemed never ending as a bunch of reminders popped up when I opened my email. I knew that I wouldn't accomplish all of my items on my list. I never did. People just kept on giving me more to do. I was convinced because they wanted to see me slip up, but I would never let them see that.

Hours passed as I continued to work my way through the check list. With no end in sight, I rested my head in my hands in frustration. I could have found another job. I didn't need to go through this torment but something pushed me forward. For some reason I felt like if I left, I would loose my connection with my dead parents and my grandmother.