Chapter 30: You Know Her?

Look out for the <>!

"How long is this going to take?" I asked Auggie impatiently with a hint of worry as I watched him break into the ID pad at the back of the MIA 'bank'. I looked around us nervously. We had already been here for a few minutes and I was worried that we were taking too long.

"Just give me about a minute," he said. "Got it." He got up from the ground as the door swung open as if someone opened it from the inside. He brushed himself off and smiled, knowing he did well.

I looked into the empty hall of the build and felt my heart pound in my chest. It was 11 PM and the building was empty, there shouldn't be a reason why I was so nervous, but I was. We walked in and saw no one in the hall. "Auggie and I will go to the right," I said to the rest of my team.

"And Mara and I'll go to the left," Zach said then started walking with Mara that way.

I shut the door that we came though and nodded at them. "We're doing the top floors, we'll meet you in the middle," I said remembering the plan that we made just an hour before.

"See you in 45 minutes." Zach waved us off calmly. 

I nodded then took Auggie to go the other way down the hall. I quickly spotted an elevator and we rode it to the top floor.

The door open and we stood, ready to attack if needs be. But as we looked around we saw that the floor was empty. I relaxed a little as I stepped out of the elevator with Auggie on my heals. "I think everyone's gone for the night." I didn't understand where the guards were or the alarms. It was a little too easy.

I weaved in and out of cubicles, following Zach's directions and quickly found the computer where he said it would be. I knelt on the ground and started to work away. It took about 10 minutes to bug it and no guards came. As I got up from the ground I frowned around myself. Nothing about this mission was sitting right in my gut.

I brushed myself off from the floor then followed Auggie down to the next floor. We quickly found the main computer and this time it only took me 9 minutes to bug.

I stood up from the ground as I looked around the silent floor. "This isn't right."

He frowned at me, not understanding what I was talking about.

"There's no one here." I followed him to the stairs as worry consumed me. "There has to be at least some guards, this is a base after all."

"Why can't you be happy with being lucky?" Auggie asked with a chuckle.

Because I was never lucky.

We hit the next floor and I put the bug into the computer even faster. I stood up from the ground just in time to hear someone shout out, "Show yourself, we know you're up here!"

I ducked back down as I looked at Auggie in fear. This is what I was waiting for. We were going to play right into a trap. I peaked behind a wall to see three men with guns.

I looked at Auggie then looked around us. We had to stick with the plan. Fighting was the last option for us. Maybe if we didn't say anything, they would disappear.

<>

I heard them walking around, it was as if they knew we were here. As seconds ticked by I realized that they weren't going to leave without us. They were just waiting for us to make the first move.

As I looked at Auggie, it was clear that he was thinking the same thing. We had to make a move if we wanted to continue on our path. We had to take them down and move on. I had to get one of us out at least. "Auggie, keep going, I'll distract them."