Chapter 27: It's Not Safe

Look out for the <>!

"Are you almost ready?" Mara said though the door of my hotel room.

I frowned at the door. "Just give me a minute!" I yelled back. I still had about 15 minutes to get ready but of course Mara liked to be early so she was breathing down my neck for the last 10 minutes. All I needed to do was put my dress on and some lip stick and that was it, she could wait for that.

I looked at myself in the mirror as I slipped on a bulletproof vest. Then I pulled a red dress over top of it. I looked at myself with a smile as I smoothed out the dress. I looked at the knife on the counter then strapped to my thigh. "Perfect," I said to myself as I pushed some of my blonde hair behind my ear with a pin. 

"Annalise, your minute is up and Auggie is with me and..."

I sighed as I opened the door to face her. She stopped in mid sentence and smiled.

Auggie looked at me and I could see his jaw drop a centimeter. "You look beautiful," he cooed.

I smiled at him and blushed a brilliant shade of red that would make roses jealous. After that moment on the elevator, things changed for us. He would be mine and I would be his. After I kissed him last night, I went to bed but I couldn't stop thinking about us. I was terrified that I said yes. But at that moment, I was terrified to say no. I couldn't imagine him slipping out of my life. I wanted to marry him. But I felt like there was some kind of urgency in the air last night as he asked. Maybe it was too soon to ask. But I was afraid to bring it up.

"Thanks. You look pretty sharp yourself," I said as I straightened out his bow tie. His brown hair was parted off to the side and loosely jelled to keep it in place. He was wearing a white button down shirt with a black bow tie. He was gorgeous, he looked like a model.

Mara sighed, breaking us from our moment. "Ok, love birds, let's go, I don't want to be late," Mara agitatedly said.

I looked at Mara for the first time seeing she had her curly hair pined up into a loose bun with bright red lipstick. She was wearing a white halter dress that went down to the knees with a pair of white 2 inch heels. "You looked nice Mara."

"Thanks but let just go," she said turning to face the hall.

The taxi was waiting for us up front and we got to the gala right on time. We got into the big building right at the heart of London, the place was huge and there was at least four different rooms where the people were socializing. There was a spacious bar, a dance floor with a live band playing with space for chairs and couches.

"MI6 really went all out to put this on didn't they?" Mara whispered to me.

"That's the truth," I whispered back with wide eyes, awe struck that it looked this nice for a government function. How come the CIA never put something this nice on?

"Let's split up. You and Auggie go to the dance floor. And I'll go to the bar." Mara thumbed over to where it was.

I frowned, knowing that she would probably get a drink or two. We needed to be fully aware and drinks wouldn't help that. I opened my mouth to protest.

"Oh Annalise. I'll be fine." She said and smiled at me reassuringly. "Remember try to find her, get close and listen to what she's talking about. If I see her first, I'll tell you through the ear wick," she said and walked off to the bar.

I nodded then looked at the dance floor. Dancing on the polished dark wood were about a dozen people.

Auggie smiled at me as Mara left us. "Camille, will you have this dance with me?" he asked, using my cover name.