Chapter 35: Brace Yourself

Look out for the <>!

I woke up with a start as water hit my face. I shot up and looked at Fabien, who was holding a cup in his hand. I looked around the room franticly. I was in a daze. For a moment, I didn't know where I was or what was happening.

"You wouldn't wake up. I hope you don't mind I used your water," he said as he handed me an empty plastic cup.

I took it from him in silence as my heart broke with disappointment as I realized that I was still detained by MIA. I wasn't home, I wasn't safe, and I wasn't getting out. I ran my hand through my hair and frowned even more, and my hair was wet.

"Afternoon," he said and smiled kindly as he sat in one of the chairs in the middle of the room.

I looked to see if I could get any hint about anything related to the outside. There was nothing to help. But at least I knew it was already the next day since I was brought in mid afternoon.

"So I was thinking about asking some more questions today but then I realized that you hadn't eaten anything in almost a day, so here." He pushed a tray of food to me.

I was right, it was the next day.

"I'll be back in a hour." He got up from the chair then left the room.

I stretched gingerly and felt my body ache. I rubbed my thigh lightly and felt a lump under my jeans, I knew it was a swollen bruise. I got up slowly from the bed and I felt the world spin. I slowly walked cross the room to the tray of food, feeling pain from my body that happened yesterday.

I sat down softly in the metal chair and took a small bite of the meat. It was juicy and tender. Fabien had more questions to ask me so he wouldn't poison it just yet. The food had to be safe to eat. After I swallowed, I realized that I was famished and I ate the rest in minutes.

Afterwards, I walked to the bathroom and frowned at the cramped space. There was just a hole in the ground and a dripping faucet. I was not getting any special treatment. I pulled down my pants and looked at my thigh that was changing to multiple shades of colors. I poked it as I felt sharp pain come with it. I needed to get out of here.

My mind ran with plans that I could use to get out but quickly I realized that I had ideas to get out alive. With a frown I shuffled to the bed and sat down. I closed my eyes for a minute, feeling exhaustion take over. It felt like I barely slept.

"Don't fall asleep on me again."

I opened my eyes to see Fabien sitting back in a chair, looking at me. Amusement clear in his eyes. He was the cat and he was ready to play.

"I wasn't."

"Come sit down," he said and gestured me to sit with him.

I knew were this was going. I didn't even get a chance to recover from yesterday. Here we go again. I got up and felt pain to my side but I was careful not to show it. I sat down on the metal chair and shivered. I was freezing.

He then got up from his chair and cuffed me to mine in one fluid motion.

I looked at my hand cuffed to the chair in horror. I had no chance in fighting back now. I was stuck to the chair with no hopes in getting out.

"Good, let's go back to the last question I asked. How did you find out about MIA?"  he asked and sat back in his chair calmly as if this was going to be a good story.

I shook my head. I couldn't force the words out of my mouth. One more day. I had to last another day, I had to give my team one more day to get me out. "Someone told me," I said trying to be as cryptic as I could.