Chapter 11: Arranged

Look out for the <>!

Accepting my fate, I closed my eyes, waiting for the end to happen. I wrapped my hand around Auggie's limp one and braced myself for the sharp sting of the knife to come, but nothing did. Instead, I heard people yelling and commotion.

I flung my eyes in a panic as I tried to understand what was going on. Fabien was no where to be seen and his small army was practically gone. I thought I saw the end flash before me and that was just a small memory as I watched at least 15 people run into the base.

I smiled as I saw CIA clearly printed on the people's bulletproof vests running to us. Relief washed over me like a wave. For now we were safe. I turned to face Auggie, to see if he knew that we would be ok.

His limp white body showed no life to it. I dropped his hand and covered his bleeding wound again. My bloody hands shook as I swore mentally to myself. I should have been doing this the whole time. He bleeding out. "HELP!" I screamed to them hoping that someone would come. Someone needed to save Auggie.

A few of the people looked at me, as if only now realizing that I was on the floor with a bleeding man. I should have expected it from them, of course I was invisible. The MIA people were probably more important in their books. But they didn't understand that ever second counted with Auggie. Not wasting a second, a few came running over to us.

"We need a stretcher," one yelled to a few of his teammates.

In a second, another one came pushing a stretcher. Quickly they put his limp body on it and Auggie groaned in pain but refused to open his eyes.

My breath caught in my in my throat. "Don't hurt him," I begged to them.

They didn't seem to pay attention to me as they ripped opened Auggie's shirt to find the source of the bleeding. "I don't feel a pulse," one of the men said. Without waiting a second more, they ran Auggie to the closest EMT vehicle.

I sat on the ground, not able to force myself to stand up and watched them take him away. I screamed. I was in agony. My heart was thrown to the dogs. In a matter of minutes I lost the two most important people in my life. This was all my fault, I shouldn't have looked into MIA. Zach told me they were dangerous. I I shouldn't have looked for a way to shine. I should have know it would blow up in my face.

I ran my hands through my hair as I tried to take a deep breath. I couldn't breath. I wanted this pain to end. Auggie....I couldn't imagine life without him. "Auggie, no, please no," I sobbed silently.

Even though the team took him away I still felt him around me. He was going to say something to me, I stopped him. I thought we were going to get out of this. I should have listened to what he wanted to say.

My life was dictated by one bad move after another. I was a failure. I shouldn't be in the CIA. No wonder there were so many rumors about me, because most of them were true. I didn't belong anywhere. I looked at my bloody hands and wiped them aggressively on my jeans. I had to get this blood off of me. I was shaking. This was a nightmare that I couldn't wake up from.

Breaking me from my destructive thoughts was went someone came up to me with a blanket. "Can you walk?" he asked as he draped the blanket around my shoulders.

I nodded, although I was shaking so badly I wasn't sure if I could stand, let along walk. As if reading my mind, he bent down and helped me up off the ground. With his help, I was able to take slow steady steps out of the base.

"We need to give you a check up," one of the EMT's said softly when I made it to an ambulance.

I nodded. I pulled the blanket closer to me as if it would protect me from the outside world.

In silence, he took me by the hand and sat me down on a stretcher. After looking over me he finally spoke up. "You have a small cut on your head but we can fix that with butterflies," he said and out some butterflies from a shelf. He started to work and I winced in pain. "I'm sorry."

Once he was done with my he took a step back to look at me. He frowned, as if not liking what he saw. Finally he sighed and said, "Wait here please. I'll be back." He walked out of the van but I heard him talking to other guy. "She's in shock. I would say get her on the next flight home and off work for a while."

"I'll call to get that arranged," another man's voice rang out.

<>

Brining me out of my thoughts was the sound of my name. "Annalise?" a man asked hesitantly as he peeked in. Now, I know who that voice was from, Carter. Out of anyone that could have come, why did my grandmother send him. She knew I couldn't stand him. Did my opinions even matter?

However, as I looked at him, even though I didn't like him, right now I just needed someone I knew. With shaking legs, I got up from the stretcher and wrapped my arms around him, burring my head in his chest.

I choked back a sob as I thought about the events that led me here. I should have seen the signs that Toby wasn't right. I should have prepared myself for MIA. I should have done a lot of things, but I did nothing. Disappointment ran in my mind over and over again. That was what I was. And I think I would always be that.

"Hey, it's ok. Everything is ok," Carter cooed as he held me tightly. He stroked my hair as if we were best friends.

I held onto him like I would die if I let go. Right now, he was the only thing that was kind of keeping me together.

"Let's get you back home, ok?" he said softly gently petting the back of my head.

"Ok," I said as my voice cracked.

In a matter of hours, we were sitting in a car staring at my house in silence. "Well, we're here," Carter said finally as he turned the car off.

I frowned at my house as if was something so foreign to me. I couldn't face being in there alone. "Can you come in?" I begged quietly. I needed someone to be with me and right now I didn't care who it was.

He nodded as he got out of the car. "Yes, I can do that."

In silence, we got into the house and I turned on the lights. I looked around at the space not feeling comfortable. Everything around here reminded me of Toby and Auggie. I looked at the ground and saw drops of red on my shoes. I couldn't be able to get the blood from these. I would have to throw them away.

I kicked them off and walked over to my family room. I curled up on the couch and Carter sat right beside me. I looked at my messy clothes then at his stained clothes. We were both a mess but he seemed to hold himself together so much better then I could. Maybe all those rumors were right, I didn't belong here. I didn't fit in. I would never fit in. I was the mess up. I would never amount to what my parents made. There was no hope for me in this business.

I looked at him with thankful eyes. He didn't ask for this but yet he took this call with such poise. All though this, Carter stayed right be my side, backing me up, being a support when I could by for myself. He put up with everything I did, every outburst, every sob, he held me tightly as if he wouldn't want to do anything else. I owed him more than I cared to share. I leaned over and laid my head on his lap. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. I know how it feels to loose people. Annalise, I'll be here as long as you want me."

I lifted my head to look as his green eyes. They were full of understanding and caring and for that second I felt safe with him. I always thought Carter was a jerk but this side of him I had never seen before. Today I saw that he was kind and caring. Now I wish I gave him a little more time to get to know him.

Laying there on his warm lap, I let myself drift in and out of sleep. Just when I was about to fully fall asleep, I heard the TV turn on, which made me jump. In panic I looked around the room, feeling my heart race in my chest.

Carter frowned at me, knowing he was the one to cause the alarm. "I'm sorry. I'll turn it off," he said as he reached for the remote.

"No, it's ok," I mumbled and laid back down on the couch. I curled up like a cat and felt myself quickly drift off again.