Chapter 25: Still Have My Back

Look out for the <>!

"Did you know that you forgot your clothes at my place again?" Mara asked a week later as I sat down at my cubicle at work. I had been to her house twice since returning to my own place but I kept on forgetting my stuff.

"Oh yeah, I forgot about them, sorry. I'll pick them up today," I said as I reached under my desk, hopeful that B26 finally left me the documents he said he would. I felt my hands rub against rough paper and I smiled. He finally delivered them. It just took a week to get them.

"You don't have to, I have them with me," she said and handed me a plastic bag with clothes in it.

I smiled at her as I took the bag. She really did have my back. "Thanks Mara."

"Hey, girls," Carter said coming up to us.

"Hey," we both said at once.

I watched Carter as he leaned against Mara's cubical. I hadn't spoken to him since I was attacked. I thought he was still hurting but as he smiled at Mara, I realized that he had already moved on. I knew he would.

"Mara, I'll pick you up at seven. Ok?" he asked as he gave her a wink.

"Yeah, that's fine," she said to him as blush showed through her tanned cheeks.

I raised my eye brow at the both of them. I never thought Mara would be interested in Carter. We used to laugh at all the girls chasing him. I wondered what changed and was slightly hurt that she hadn't told me about this.

He nodded then left us to talk about what just happened.

I looked at Mara who just blushed silently. "Carter?" I whispered.

"I know...."

"How?"

"It's a long story. Can I tell you later?"

I nodded. "Sure, but I expect you to tell me all the same."

"Deal, oh and about your question you asked me yesterday, there's a data base to look up the past owners of the cubical. I'll show you," she said with a smile, happy to change the topic.

It made me wonder why she was so nervous in sharing. It's not like I would judge. She could like who she wanted.

She walked into my cubical then started to type away on my keyboard. within seconds, she took me to this white screen that had a search box. "All you need to do is type in the desk and they'll find it for you."

I smiled at her. There was a reason why I wanted to know about the cubical. I was hoping that once I figured out who had own B26 in the past, it could help me gain an idea of who was talking to me. This was the step in the right direction. "That's so cool, thanks Mara."

"Yeah no problem," she said indifferently then left to go back to whatever she was working on in her cubical.

I turned back to me computer. In the solitude of my cubical, I reached under my desk and pulled out the file. I smiled as I looked at the tan paper in my hands. I had been waiting for the document for days. I thought it would come sooner.

Knowing this was from B26, I quickly shoved it under a stack of papers then turned to my computer again. Now it was time to look through the data base. I put my hands on the key board when a woman came up to us and said, "Mara, Annalise, you're needed at your grandmothers office."

Damn it! I screamed mentally in my head as I slammed my hands on the keyboard in frustration. I was just about to find out who owned B26 and I got ripped away from it. Lately my grandmother had been the main cause to my unhappiness.