Chapter 28: You Figured It Out

Look out for the <>!

"Just remember to take the bug and show her," I said to Auggie over the phone two days later.

After they took Tori's body away, we got carted off to the airport and flown back home as soon as possible. There was a sense of urgency that no one wanted to address. There were secrets that were starting to come undone and I had a feeling that we were on the edge of something.

"I will," Auggie laughed lightly.

I knew I could count on him. I needed him to show Gram the bug because then she would believe me. She would understand that MIA needed to be address and fixed and we need the full support  of the CIA.

"Annalise, I got to go," Auggie said over the phone. "But I love you, remember that. I always will."

I smiled. Ever since that proposal in the elevator, we had no time to talk about it. Yes we were engaged, but it didn't feel like it. I had no ring, no plans, it was just words that were said between us. We wanted to be together and for now, that was good enough. "I love you too," I said as I hung up the phone. I pulled out my milk and sniffed it. It was still good. I poured it into a cup and sat down at my small kitchen table and looked at my computer.

"What am I going to do?" I said out loud with a sigh as I thought about the next month that I would be benched for. Then I remembered that I never looked up who sat at B26. I needed to know who stayed there so quickly I went on to the CIA website search page.

My heart started to pound in my chest as the page loaded. Once I figured out who owned this desk, I was one step closer to finding out who B26 was. I was excited but nervous at the same time. What if this didn't answer my question? What if no one owned the desk in the last 20 years? Then I would be back at the drawing board.

I watched the bar spin as it loaded. My fingers hit a study rhythm on the table as the search came up, then finally after a minute, it showed the history of B26. The last owner of that cubical was James Phillips.

If I wasn't sitting down already my legs would have given out. In that moment, I knew. After all these years, he wasn't dead. James Phillips, my dad was B26. That was why he reached out to me. He knew I could do it because he knew me, he trusted me. Tears started to fall down my face. B26 was my father and he wasn't dead.

I shook my head as I tried to wrap my head about it. After all these years, I was never alone like I thought, he had always been there, watching me, helping me though every mission. I got up from the computer brushed some over my hair out of my face as I walked back and forth in the kitchen, trying to grab a hold of this. In my mind I pieced together the hints that he gave me.

You're a bright girl, you'll figure it out. You always do.

I was starting to get worried about you.

That's my girl. :)

You can't do this to me. I need you.

Be safe.

All the little things he said, he cared. No stranger would care about me like my father did. How could I have not seen this? I frowned at the computer, suddenly furious. Why didn't he just reveal himself instead of beating around the bush? He left me alone for years. I struggled, I was the blunt of jokes, people hated me, my grandmother thought I was trouble. I needed him so why didn't he come back sooner?

I walked back to the computer and sat down. I needed to talk to him right now, I couldn't wait any longer. I went to the main screen of my computer and typed B26.

Suddenly the screen turned black and said, "Did you get the bug?"

"Yes. Thanks for the help." My hands shook, I was suddenly terrified to ask. I wasn't sure if I wanted to get a the response. "Dad..." I typed hesitantly.