Chapter 31: At the Roots

Look out for the <>~

"We did it, Annalise!" Auggie said and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

I smiled at him. I liked this attention. "Cool! What did we do?" I asked as I stopped in my tracks, clueless as I looked around at the sunny park we were walking in. I looked up at the sun and smiled, summer was always my favorite.

"We brought down MIA, we did it, YOU did it."

He was so happy, it made me happy. "Oh yeah, I forgot." The scene around us changed to an old building that was damp and cold. It had a funny smell that made me wrinkle my nose. "Where are we?"

"Oh that's easy we're at the...."

But he was cut off by a man with gray hair and a bright smile who said, "Annalise, sweet heart, I missed you." And gave me a hug.

But I didn't hug him back. I froze stiff. I had no idea who this man was and why he was in my space. He smelt weird and he had to be the age of an grandfather. I pushed him away, waning nothing to do with him.

Disappointment was clear on his face for some reason. "Annalise, it me, your father," he said.

That was a lie. He was too old. "You're not my dad," I said, shaking my head as I took a step back from him. I racked my head with old memories of him. "I would have recognized you."

"But I am," he said and put his hand on my shoulder as his face started transforming.

I jumped back from him in fear as his skin melted off.

"Annalise, look at me when I'm talking to you."

By now, I was looking at a skeleton. I screamed and tried to run but the door was getting further from me. Suddenly I felt a pair of cold bony hands wrap around mine. "Get off of me!"

"That's not how you treat your dad," the bones responded.

I shook my head. "You're not my dad! My dad's alive!" I tried to push him away. I had to get away from him. The stranger in front of me was not related to me.

"No I'm not, and soon you'll be with me, forever, like this," he said his grip started to get tighter.

I was suffocating. "Auggie help me!" I yelled looking for him from across the room.

Auggie stayed still. "I'm sorry Annelise, your grave has already been dug," Auggie said coolly with the same hard and unwavering eyes that Toby had then walked out of the door, leaving me behind with this monster.

"No Auggie, Help!" I started crying. I thought I had a team, a family, but I was all alone. Deep down I knew Auggie would leave me. Suddenly the building started melting around us and quickly I found myself at a grave site.

In silence the skeleton drug me down a row of graves and stopped at a grave marker that read,

Annalise Phillips

May she rest in peace with her family.

"Time to join us, Annalise. We've been waiting." He pushed me into the empty grave and started burying me with dirt.

I screamed as loud as I could as I felt the ground shaking.

I opened my eyes and shot upright. I looked around my room as I wiped sweat from my forehead. I was covered in it. I took a deep breath as I tried to control my breathing. I looked at Auggie who was right beside me with concern written all over his face. It was a dream. My eyes started to well up with tears. He was still here with me.