Chapter 29: We Were Family

By time we all got to the house, we were all tense. We all knew that we were diving more into danger but we were all afraid to get out now. We were on a train, heading for a cliff and we all knew it.

The three of us sat in the family room of my house and talked about what to expect next. The discussion that followed terrified me. For the first time in a long time I was scare of what was to come. But I couldn't show how scared I was. I needed to be strong, for them, and me.

Breaking me out of my thoughts was a buzz to my phone. "Hello?" My voice was light, hardly sounded like a leader voice.

"Hey, I'm almost there," Zach's voice rang out through the other end.

I nodded at the wall as if he could see it. "We'll be waiting for you," I said and hung up the phone. I turned back to Auggie who was drawing something on a piece of paper.

"Ok after we bug the computers what will we do?" Auggie asked, looking at me for direction.

I frowned. I really didn't know. I hadn't thought that far ahead. I was used to following orders never giving them. "Um....well..."

"Also, how do we get in?" Auggie asked another question before I had time to respond to the other one.

I frowned again. He wanted plans to explode from my head as if I was full of them. But the truth was that I wasn't. I wasn't amazing, I wasn't a star player in the CIA, I was just Annalise who's father was the superstar.

"I can pretend to be getting money out from my bank account," Mara suggested.

I smiled at her as if to tell her thank you. At least she came up with something because my mind was running blank. "That's good, and while you're distracting them Auggie, Zach, and I could go in through the back of the building," I spoke up, going along with her plan.

"Yeah ok, then how do I get in?" Mara said looking eagerly at me.

I smiled lightly at her. I didn't want to tell her that I didn't want her to go in. I was trying to minimize the damage where I could. But she was so excited to help. I could see a drive in her eyes. I was so thankful to her and I don't know what I would do without her. She was my right hand gal and she backed me up with everything. I owed her more then I could give to her. And that was why I didn't want her in the building.

"Do you have any B26 info still?" Auggie asked, changing the topic quickly.

I nodded, as I got up from the floor to find it. "Yeah, I do in fact," I said then went upstairs. I searched through my room upstairs trying to find the small box that was labeled B26 in my scribble hand writing. Quickly, I found it shoved in the corner by my bed. I took the box and ran down the stairs with it. I walked over to Auggie and Mara again and set the box down in front of them. "It's everything I got, all the info, I kept all."

"Wow, " Mara and Auggie said both at once looking at the small box of files and paper notes that had my scrawl on them.

We then started to pour over the files and notes. Breaking us out of our study was a knock on the door. Knowing who it was, I jumped up and got it. On the other side of the door was Zach holding a bucket of fried chicken.

<>

He smiled at me. "Hello, I thought you were going to be hungry and....oh hell, I saw this at the store, wanted it. I thought we could share," Zach said and scratched the back of his neck uncomfortably.

I smiled at him. I needed this humor to break up the tension in the air. "Sure thanks," I said as I took it. "Come in, please." 

Zach stepped in and looked around at the house. "Nice place you got here."