Chapter 108: Soon

That moment when you're 8 year old sister calls you childish and weird with her fifty pounds of make up on 🙂 oh and the wattpad update kind of, um, SUCKS ASS.

10 months later

"I need to take Eden to school." I say to Emily as I get Dylan dressed. "I'll meet you at the hospital afterwards."

Emily nods her head and slips Isaiah's shirt over his head. "Okay."

"I can take her." Hanna says. "I mean, I've been living here all week. I have nothing better to do." She chuckles, putting Carter and Ronan's shoes on.

She looks at Ronan. "I don't get it." She says randomly. "The tanned brunette has green eyes, and the light skinned dirty blonde has brown eyes."

Eden runs into the room. "Hurry up! I'm going to be late!" She huffs. "And it's all your fault!"

"The attitude that girl has, I swear..." Hanna whispers, shaking her head.

After everyone is dressed, Hanna takes Eden to school.

"I can't believe Eden is in first grade!" Emily says as we pile into the car with the babies. "She was barely one when I met her!"

I laugh. "I know! And Charlotte is four?! It's insane!"

After thirty minutes of driving, we've made it to the hospital.

Since the boys are walking now, we don't have to bring a stroller, thank god. They run ahead of us with Carter, who is now three.

We make it to Charlotte's room. All I can hear is her heavy breathing.

"Do you think we can make it to Mexico tonight? We... We have a friend. We just need a couple weeks." Emily tells Arizona and Dr. Bailey.

"She doesn't have a couple weeks." Dr. Bailey says. "She maybe has a couple hours."

My heart constricts in my chest and I suck in a deep breath. I've known this for a while now, but it still feels so surreal.

We sit in Charlotte's hospital room for the next few hours, the boys playing with their few trains we brought with us.

Emily walks hurriedly into the room after being gone for the past two hours, her eyes red and puffy. "I called eight organizations. And they have a wait list for emergency funds. I don't know what to do, I just, I don't know-"

"Mrs. Fields," Dr. Bailey cuts her off, "it's time to stop now." She whispers.

"Maybe if we just go to the airport, they'll let us on a plane. I mean...people do things like that, right? For sick kids? They'll-"

"Mrs. Fields."

"No! Please don't make me stop! Okay?! Please! Please, don't make me stop!" Emily yells.

"I wouldn't want to stop, either. I don't want to. But Charlotte is terminal. In a few minutes, her heart is going to stop. Now, I can pump her chest, push all sorts of medicines. I can put her on a ventilator. Cause she'll no longer be able to breathe on her own. But even with all of that, she is going to die. And the last few people who will have held her hands in their own, had their hands on her, who will have been able to touch her...Well, it's going to be me, or-or a nurse. Or it could be you, and Alison. Cause you don't want to miss this. This next part, she needs her mommies for this part."

Charlotte moves her head to the side, waking up. "Mommy? Mama? Are we going to Mexico?" Her sweet voice rasps out.

Emily doesn't say anything. Instead, she stands there like a lost puppy who's been kicked one too many times.

I sit forward in my chair, and smile lightly, yet brokenly, at Charlotte, grabbing her small hand. "Yeah. We're going to Mexico...Where the sky is blue, blue and the sand is white...And the water is so clear that you can see all the way to the bottom. We're going. No more doctors. No more medicine. No more hospitals. Just you, me, and mommy. We're gonna go. Just relax." I whisper, crawling into her bed with her. "We'll be there soon. We'll play on the beach all day. And we'll make sand castles. We're going. We'll be there soon. You'll see. And we're gonna have so much fun. Just you, me, and mommy." I kiss the top of her head. "Just us three." I choke out through my tears before Charlotte flatlines.

A/N I gave up on waiting to reach 420 followers. Fuck all y'all hoes.

I kid, I kid. But now, next update at 410 followers. 6 more to go.