Chapter 30: Fighter

*sorry I didn't update when you asked. I was busy sleeping*

The next day

Emily POV:
"Hey, little fighter. You're doing good. You're heart stopped once during the night for about fifteen seconds. I stayed up all night with you, so I'm exhausted. Your mama went out today. Hanna said she needed some therapy. Which I totally understand. She's been cooped up in her for eight days." I say to Charlotte.

"You have stolen my heart. You stole it the first time I heard about you. Before your mama and I were even a couple." I say. "You can't even understand me, but talking helps. Your sister Eden loves you very much. She can't wait until you're big enough to play."

I laugh quietly when Charlotte slowly kicks her leg up into the air.

"You sure are cute, kiddo." I say. "Maybe I'll adopt you one day."

"Your mama and the doctors are the only ones that get to hold you. I'm a little...okay-a lot-jealous." I laugh. "But we'll get there. One day at a time."

"Everyone is in love with you. Your grandparents, my mom and dad, Tyler, Hanna, Spencer, Aria. The guys, even. I wouldn't expect a guy to love a baby as much as they love you and Eden. Well, one that they aren't related to. That's different...Right?"

"Anyways...We just need you to keep fighting. All the attention is one you, and it's going to be for awhile. Just keep fighting."

I sit down on the chair, and watch Charlotte's chest, slowly but surely, rise and fall.

It's actually relaxing.

Knowing she's okay.

I eventually drift off to sleep.

Alison POV:
"We're back!" I exclaim as I walk into my hospital room.

But oddly, Emily isn't in there.

"She probably got tired of sitting in here alone, waiting for you while you went shopping." Hanna says in a matter-of-fact tone.

"I'm sure she did, Han." I say.

"Shouldn't that be obvious?" Aria inquires, and lays a sleeping Eden down on the bed.

"Well then where is she?" Spencer asks.

I walk out of the room and to the NICU, and sure enough, there's Emily next to Charlotte's incubator, sleeping in a chair.

I smile, and pull my phone out to take a picture.

I get the picture, and quietly walk in.

Charlotte is lying still, her chest slowly rising and falling.

My little fighter.

"Emily, babe. Wake up." I whisper, and touch her shoulder.

When she doesn't move a muscle, I shake her a little harder, but not too much.

"Emily." I say louder.

She jumps up, and stands on her feet, suddenly wide awake.

"Wow. Slow down there, tiger. What's wrong?" I ask.

"I-I thought something happens to Charlotte. After last night. I didn't mean to fall asleep. I stayed up-" She says quickly.

"Okay, okay. It's fine. Charlotte is fine."

I run what she said through my mind again and look at her questioning.

"You stayed up with her last night?" I ask.

"What? Yeah. Just to be sure she was okay." She says.

It makes me so happy to know she would do that for my kids.

"She's fine. She'll be fine. She's a fighter." I assure Emily, and kiss her forehead.