Lingering touch

"run" he whispered so urgently. His eyes shifting from side to side as he looked into hers. His breath was quick and she could feel its warmth upon her neck that was coated in droplets of sweat. Their hands were together, holding, grasping each other desperately in the moments of not knowing what would happen next. Her breaths matched his and she searched in his eyes just as he had for her.Except she searched for something more precious and dear to her, something that would carry her through the next events, that would sit in her heart and make it hole, giving her something to cling onto when his hand wasn't available, and wasn't in hers to hold. She was searching for the answer and so was he, but the two questions were incredibly different.

Promise, you'll come home to me - safe.

promise me you'll leave.

It was unspoken, there couldn't be any more said than the three lettered word - they had no time - no time for a goodbye although neither of them wanted this moment to be their goodbye. No time for an embrace to share the emotions. Just a three lettered word and the gaze filled with unspoken and unanswered questions.

Her hair was heavy as the rain poured down on top of them it swung back and forth, the water that added weight dripped, joining the millions of other droplets of water that fell from the sky from amongst enormous clouds of grey. They could not waste anymore time, they both looked behind them. One seeing the danger the other seeing the possibility of escape. It was only a quick glance back to one another as their feet started to move and they started to go in different directions, their fingertips were the last thing to let go,  lingering just a moment longer. The last thing they held onto was hope.

The gun was tucked into the waistband, of her shorts underneath her long elegant skirt. More bullet packs were in her pockets concealed by the draping of the skirt. Her shoes clapped against the stone pavement and into the puddles that had formed, the murky water splashing back up onto her legs, leaving specks of brown scattered onto her. The rain fell harder, the anxiety and fear weighing heavily on her chest. So much that her breathing was laboured all that came out were quick gasps of air. The temptation to look back growing like a hunger, just a quick glance she thought to yourself. Maybe she would see him chasing after her. His hair blowing back slightly as he reached his hand out to grab hers, the familiar feeling of his rough touch against her making her feel safe as they slipped together, fitting so easily with each other. The small smile that would cross his lips, and that gleam in his eye as he whispered in her ear nuzzling into the crook of her shoulder, gently kissing her neck.
But she couldn't risk life over 'what if's' and 'buts' she knew she had to keep on running, regardless of the weight or hunger that persisted or the curiosity of unanswered questions that were left lingering in the dead air. The artificial amber glow of the street lights where the only thing lighting her way. They cast shadows against the pavement and walls of other buildings that stretched creating silhouettes that her mind manipulated into atrocities, Every shadow she passed she stared into making sure that her mind hadn't deceived her and that every glowing pair of lights wasn't the monsters she  was running from. The street lights began to become further apart as she gained more distance between herself and the base of all gore, the place where bodies were left to rot and decay, blood staines across every room, the stench enough to make a innocent walk away or make a loved one go mad.

The house of hell, where the vampires lurked - and where Robbie had run back to. As the amount of streetlights decreased the more her concern grew. She reached her hand around the gun feeling slightly more confident knowing she wasn't just another helpless victim. That if she was to die, victim would not be her label but instead it would be 'stubborn fighter' knowing that she wasn't going with out a fight. The gun was almost as familiar as the feel of Robbie's hand in hers.
The base was a mile away, secluded and hidden. Isolated but safe, away from the ravenous hunters. But getting there also meant exposure, easily a vampire could attack her,jumping out of the shadows - taking only a second to end her existence, to make her become another death, another body another victory for them. That's where she was headed, she thought back to how this all began. It started off with a news report informing the world that vampires were real, but no one believed it, everyone thought it was a joke. And that was the downfall of the human race, their lack of trust for one another and forever having to be given evidence.
They all believe now though- but only after these creatures had captured them, only then did they start taking precautions only after the death count rose. Since then the danger had only increased, you either became one of them or a meal for them. But there were few just like her. Who rebelled against it, who added a third option of life taking down the demonic civilisation as each day came.
They had gone to a vampire ball, filled with the origionals- the most powerful of all the vampires, there they planned on killing them, they used the blood of other vampires they had killed to mask their scent of human.
A chemical called joanavin was able to decrease their heart rate. And so they willingly stepped inside a cage, surrounded by dozens of predators all ready to feast on their prey. It had all gone to plan until the end, more vampires turned up Robbie made her promise to leave. To go back to base and stay safe, to live. That's when he ran back into their grasp.
He ran back whilst she ran forward, hoping the could both do the same with your lives, eventually becoming safe, having a home a life without merciless killing. Robbie ran back to give her time, he had already seen them following, lurking in the shadows and so chose to give her a chance to survive.
Robbie's POV
I looked into her eyes, her gorgeous mahogany eyes, the mascara smudged slightly below her left eye. The stray pieces of hair had fallen over her shoulder out of the elegant bun it was once in. I admired her, in every single way, she is out if my league and somehow, when she looks at me there wasn't any danger lurking in the shadows, there wasn't a lack of time we could spend together - there was just us. Us. Where we could gaze into each other's eyes, where we could laugh about stupid things. Where holding her in my arms as she leaned against me in bed was an option. The most unlikely of pairs, joining together but not just to survive- to live, with adventures and simple goals where making a family wasn't making a meal for them. She needed that, that life with out all of this disgust, hatred and fear. Which is why I cherished this. Why I memorised the way she looked, why our fingers lingered just a moment longer. Why I went back. So she could live.

They knew we were there, they had already gone ahead to ambush us, I had seen them run in the corner of my eye. Ready to hunt. The shadows welcoming them and hiding them. I didn't tell her. She had to believe we would see each other again, she had to have hope. If I could bring them back it would mean that she was safe. That their attention was on me and she could slip away. I could see them at the end of the alley, the had swarmed together, hissing at one another. Their fangs prominent and their eyes scarlet red. I took the gun out of my jacket pocket and began firing. The sound of the gun firing echoed, bouncing from the walls what the metal cylinder embedded itself in their flesh. Their cries were of anguish and then of rage as they approached. Closer and closer....