chapter 22

I was sitting in class talking to Jjoo, Soo-ah and Tae-hoon when Su-ho walks into the room and Tae-hoon immediately turns away from us and spins over to Su-ho. "Su-ho, my best friend," He holds up his hand for a high-five. Su-ho lazily slaps his hand back and Tae-hoon looks at it in shock and awe with Hyun-kyu asking him how he did it. The way these people worship Su-ho is so funny to me, back in my school if you were the smartest in the class you'd just get bullied for being the nerd and people would only become friends with you for answers to homework. "No way, constantly trying paid off," Soo-ah laughs and looks at us, "After the 1000th try, you finally got through to Su-ho,"

"I won't wash my hand today," Tae-hoon raises his hand in glory, showing it off to everyone.

"The ranking of your grades don't determine your happiness," I beg to differ, "But higher grades always bring you joy," Mr. Han says, holding a paper in his hand. "Su-ho, you have the highest grades in your year!" Who would've guessed? "Congratulations, give him a round of applause!" Su-ho stands up and we all applaud him loudly.

"Seo-jun," Mr. Han calls out, "Let's also give Seo-jun a round of applause to make him feel included," Everyone claps and I stifle my laughter as Seo-jun passes my desk and hits my head with his paper, he stops right beside me and looks at his paper.

"Oh! I got 100 on my literature exam, I just marked 2 for everything," He grins and tries to look at my paper, "What'd you get?" I hid my paper but he snatched it from my hand, "52? And you actually studied," He snorts and I push him over so he leaves. I hid my reddening face in my hands, I can't believe I got 52 and Seo-jun got 100! I should've just marked 2 for everything, life is so unfair.

"Jjoo, what'd you get?" I turn diagonally and look at her.

"49," She mumbles.

"What?"

"49," She says a bit louder.

"It's okay," I scoot closer and pat her back, "I got a 52,"

"My mom's gonna kill me," Ju-kyung groans, staring at her grades. Soo-ah turns around, pats her back, takes a peek at her grades, sighs pityingly and pats her back harder.

"Soo-jin, did you come in second again?" Si-hyun asks, turning towards Soo-jin's desk. "You must be upset," Soo-jin just smiles sadly and looks back at her paper. I look back over at Soo-ah and Ju-kyung.

"What happened to Soo-jin?"

"I don't know," Soo-ah responds, watching Soo-jin crumple up her report card and stuff it in her bag, "She's probably mad she got second again," She shrugs, turning back to Ju-kyung and pointing at her paper. "You still went up by 20 ranks," She comforts.

"You didn't get lower grades so I'm sure she won't get angry," I rub Ju-kyung's back.

"Right?" Ju-kyung says, unsure.

"Ju-kyung-ah!" Si-hyun's voice shouts through the halls, she comes running into the classroom and stops beside Ju-kyung's desk. Soo-ah jumps up, looking at the door and I try searching through the crowd of bodies to try and find who's causing this commotion.

"Hyung-jin oppa!" Soo-ah covers her face, I stand up too and stand on my tiptoes to see Hyung-jin, as in star pitcher Hyung-jin, standing at our classroom door. He walks through the desks and stops at Ju-kyung's desk.

"What are you doing here?" Ju-kyung asks, confused, looking up at him.

"I came to see you," He responds and we all squeal. "Take this," He hands her a baseball. "I have a jinx, so I can't play without this ball."

"Then why are you giving me this?" Ju-kyung tries pushing his hand away.

He grabs her hand and flips it over, placing the ball on her palm, "So I can ask you to come to my final match," He closes her fingers and she takes her hand away slowly, "If I win the game, I want to ask you something," He winks.