chapter 15

After In-su left, Soo-ah, Soo-jin and I decided to watch the band perform when Ju-kyung—finally—arrived. "Ah! ImJjoo!" Soo-ah links arms with her too. "Where should we watch from? The back or the front?"

"I'm tired and I really want to-" Ju-kyung started.

"Don't you dare say you'll leave first," Soo-ah pouted, "Why would you go home when the highlight is about to start?"

"She's right," Soo-jin nods.

"Stay and watch the show with us!" I add.

"Let's go sit over there!" Soo-ah nods and begins leading us to the wood bleachers. The four of us sit together—Soo-jin then Soo-ah then me then Ju-kyung—and we listen to the band perform. I raise my arms and slowly wave with everyone else when I notice Jjoo looking a bit sad. "Jjoo, cheer up, Soo-ah told me the highlight is huge," I smile and she tries to smile back. "You want me to sing for you?" She shakes her head quickly, I do it anyway, 'Cheer up, baby, cheer up, baby," I whisper-sing horribly and Jjoo covers my mouth quickly but she's finally smiling.

"This song isn't widely known, but it's one by the late singer Jeong Se-yeon who I was a big fan of," The main singer tells us and starts singing.

"Jeong Se-yeon? Isn't he the one who committed suicide last year?" The girls in front of us say.

"Why did it have to be this song of all songs?" Soo-jin wonders out loud, "Han Seo-jun might start with Su-ho again,"

"Why? Is there a history between them?" I ask.

"They were close, Lee Su-ho, Han Seo-jun and Jeong Se-yeon." Soo-jin nods, "Didn't Su-ho tell you?" She asks.

"What?" Ju-kyung leans past me.

"Right, of course, I think I remember that," Soo-ah nods, Ju-kyung and I look at each other in confusion. As the song continues I search up 'Jeong Se-yeon' on my phone and look through the latest articles. My heart breaks a little as I see that he committed due to hate from fans and how he was depressed long before that. I'm not that caught up on idol culture since I never lived here but the toxicity of the fans irks me so much, because even on these articles where they were just hoping he was happier in heaven there were hate comments lurking. I shake my head and turn off my phone, people could be so mean without reason. "I'll get going first," Ju-kyung touches my hand and I nod.

✦•················•✦

I hear the doorbell ring immediately after I walk into the kitchen and I groan, who was here at this hour? I walk to the door and look out the peephole and see a very distressed looking Han Seo-jun. I immediately pull the door open and he falls inside. I close the door behind him and take his face in my hands, there are slow tears falling from his eyes, "Seo-jun? Are you okay?" Dumb question, clearly he's not. He shakes his head slowly and falls into my shoulder. I pat his back as he cries into my shoulder.

"Shhh," I whisper, "It's okay, you're okay, Seo-jun-ah, what happened?" He just continues crying, "Shh, you can tell me, it's okay, we're gonna sit down, okay?" He shakes his head and hugs me tighter. My heart hurts as I listen to him cry, the sobs filling the echoey room.

"Please tell me what's wrong so I can help you, please let me help you," I whisper, I take his hands into mine and lead him to the couch where he immediately starts crying into my shoulder again. My heart clenches tightly like someone just reached into my body and started twisting it.

"I don't know what to do," He cries harder, "I feel so sorry for everyone,"

"Do you need anything?" I whisper, wiping his tears with my thumbs, "Do you want me to get you anything? Water? Food?" He just shakes his head and lays down on my lap.