Corner Store

The tv was playing in the background as I put on a few layers of clothes. "A severe snowstorm is entering our area. Expect heavy snow and high winds. Possible whiteout conditions are possible." The weather man. I dialed my mom's work number and waited until someone answered. A voice I wasn't familiar with and I asked to speak to my mom. I waited a few minutes before my mom spoke through the phone. "Hey, mom. The weather man said a really bad snowstorm is coming in." I said, wanting to let her know what was happening. Especially since she had to work late tonight. "Yeah, some here got an alert on thier cellphone. I think I'll just stay at my sister's tonight. Make sure to go to the corner store for some stuff before it gets bad." She said. We talked for a little longer before saying our goodbyes.

I put my phone in my sweatpants pocket and put on a hoodie. Then I slipped on my winter beanie and gloves. I switched off the tv before grabbing my house keys. Then I headed out to walk to the corner store. It wasn't too far from where we live, which was good because I can't drive. I know how to drive, I just can't drive on the road legally. Driving just gives me way too much anxiety; that's why I never got my license. As I was walking I spotted a few of my neighbors who were driving in thier cars. None of them stopped to offer me a ride, but that was okay. They probably had stuff they needed to do before the storm moved in. There was already snow on the ground, but the roads and sidewalks were clear. So I didn't have anything to worry about. After a few more minutes I finally reached the corner store.

The automatic door opened for me and I grabbed a shopping cart. Then I went around looking for essentials. Bread, milk, canned foods, batteries for flashlights, etc. I already had candles and lighters at home, so I didn't have to buy any of those things. Once I got everything I needed I got in line. The store was packed full with people buying things. I figured they probably had the same idea as I did. The longer I waited the darker it got outside. Snow started pouring out of the sky. The parking lot lamps allowed me to see the large snowflakes that were falling. A strong gust of wind rattled the store windows a little. When the automatic doors opened it allowed freezing cold air to flood inside. "Y/n, what are you doing out in this weather?" The cashier I have a crush on asked me. Barns was on his little  name tag that he had to wear. I blushed when I looked into his pretty blue eyes. "I had to get some stuff for the storm." I replied shyly.

He and I had sort of became friends due to the amount of time I come here. I often wanted to ask him to go to coffee or something, but I've always been too shy and nervous. "It's getting pretty bad out there. Do you have a ride home?" He asked as he scanned my items and placed them in bags. "No, I actually walked here tonight." I replied. Concern filled his eyes. "My shift is almost over. I could walk you home if you want me to." He said as he brushed some of his hair out of his face. I always loved his curly/wavy dark hair. In the summer he cuts it kinda short, but during the fall and winter he lets it grow to his shoulders. "Thanks, I appreciate that. Especially since I think I have more bags than I can carry." I said with a small shy laugh. He smiled his beautifully charming smile. I caught myself looking at his plump lips a little too long and blushes as I looked away.

I paid for my things and I moved out of the way. Waiting for him to clock out. "Are you ready?" He asked me as he grabbed a few of my bags. He was wearing a black leaver jacket adorned with various patches and metal studs. Underneath was a hoodie and he had the hood on his head, hiding his fluffy curls. "Yeah, I think so." I replied. It felt a little odd not seeing him in his work uniform. But I liked the way he looked; He looked like a rockstar. When we stepped through the automatic doors we were hit by a very strong and very cold gust of wind. Snow poured down in thick flakes making it very hard to see. The roads and sidewalks were quickly becoming covered with snow as well. We didn't talk much during our walk due to the wind. Even though we were next to each other we probably wouldn't have heard what either one of us said.

It felt like it took forever to reach my home. I unlocked the door quickly and invited Barns inside. I locked the door behind us before taking the shopping bags into the kitchen. "Thanks for walking me home, I really appreciate it." I said with a smile. I took my hood, beanie, and gloves off. I took my shoes off and placed them by the door so the snow could melt off of them. Then I started taking off some layers of clothing after turning up the heat. "No problem. I'm just glad you made it home safely." He replied with a small smile of his own. "You can spend the night here if you want to. Especially since the storm is only going to get worse." I said. I didn't want him going back out there and getting hurt or sick. "Thank you. That would be great actually." He said with a relived look in his eyes.

I asked him if he had dinner yet and he said no. So I started making spaghetti for us. Pasta is always one of my favorites, especially during cold weather. Barns took his shoes off at the door next to mine. He walked around in his socks as he kindly helped me make dinner. "So... do you live here all alone?" He asked curiously. "No, my mom lives here too. She's staying at her sister's place though due to the storm." I replied. I explained that she had to work late tonight; her sister's place is closer to where she works. We talked as we waited for the food to be ready. It felt nice being able to get to know him better. I just hoped he didn't notice my blushes when we made eye contact.

After a while we filled our plates with pasta and sat at our small round table. As we ate we talked more. I learned that he lived in an apartment with a few of his friends. Apparently they helped each other pay rent and groceries. I also learned that he liked to make music and plays at pubs on his days off. "Maybe one day I can come and watch you perform?" I asked. "Of course, I would love that. Hopefully you'll enjoy my music." He said with a smile and a small laugh. 'He looks so cute when he smiles.' I thought inside of my head. When we were finished eating he helped me put away leftovers. He even helped me wash the dishes, and I thanked him. We then walked into the living room where we watched the news first. Just to see how the storm and everything was progressing. The weather man mentioned that there were a few roads closed. "I'm glad your mom decided to stay at her sister's place. It's so bad out there." Barns said after peeking out of the window.

He joined me back on the couch and we kept watching the news for a while. Eventually we changed the channel to watch something else. I grabbed a nearby blanket and covered up with it. "Are you cold?" I asked, glancing over at him. "I'm a little chilly." He replied. I offered to share the blanket with him and he thanked me. A few moments passed before I noticed we had moved closer to each other. It made me a little nervous being so close to him. Mostly because of the butterflies in my stomach. But eventually we both started feeling tired. I grabbed a spare pillow and another blanket he could use. We said goodnight as he got comfortable on the couch. I walked upstairs to my room and changed into my pajamas. I hoped that my mom was safe at her sister's place as I climbed into bed. It took me a few minutes to get warm and comfortable. After that I drifted off to sleep.

++++++++++++++
A/N: Thanks for reading!! Go check out my other Barns Courtney fanfictions if you want to.

Remember to vote, comment, share, etc. :) <3