Different

"Come down to meet the new farm hands!" My mom yelled from downstairs. I didn't really wanna go and meet them, but it was something my parents always wanted. Just so I knew the people who would be around the apple orchard. I marked my place in the book I was reading and sat it aside. Then walked downstairs. I met my mom in the foyer. A few minutes passed before my dad came in. He had the new farm hands with him.

When they walked in I spotted the first few men. Each of them looked like the typical guys my dad would find to work the orchard. But the last man that entered the house was different. He was average height with curly shoulder length brown hair. He was skinny and didn't look too muscular. At least not as muscular as the others. He was also dressed different. Instead of blue jeans and flannel shirts, he was wearing black jeans and a leather jacket.

His Led Zeppelin t-shirt peeking through the jacket, which was unzipped. Instead of tennis shoes or work boots, he was wearing leather boots. He looked like a rockstar. My dad introduced each of the four men. "Last but not least, is Barns." My dad said. The guy I couldn't stop glancing at stepped forward to shake our hands. The three others kinda smirked; they were holding back laughs. It kinda made me upset that they were amused by Barns's appearance.

After the introductions, they all left except for Barns. "I wanted to ask you two something." My dad said to us and glanced at Barns. "What is it honey?" My mom asked curiously. "Barns doesn't have a place to stay. I was wondering if you would be comfortable with Barns staying here?" My dad said in a questioning tone. After a few minutes of discussion, they agreed that Barns would stay in the Barn loft. My mom didn't want a stranger staying in the house.

"I like your shirt and your jacket." I said with a small smile. "Thank you." Barns said, smiling softly. He had plump lips and pretty blue eyes. "Y/n loves rock music, so I think the two of you will get alone just fine." My dad said smiling. Barns's smile grew, and I blushed a little. They both walked outside so my dad could start training them. I went back to my room to grab my book. Instead of staying in my room, I decided to go outside. I walked to one of my favorite spots on the orchard.

I sat by a babbling brook to read my book. The sounds of birds and the water was relaxing. During lunch my dad brought Barns to the house. He ate with us because he didn't have a packed lunch. My parents asked him questions about his life and whatnot. I asked him questions about art, music, books, etc. I really enjoyed talking to him. So much so that I was a little upset when he had to go back to work.

• • •

Weeks had passed since the new farm hands started working. Barns and I had gotten to know each other better. We bonded over our love of music and books. The other farm hands seemed jealous that I was giving him attention. But I didn't really care. They aren't the kind of guys that interest me. Barns is different, like a breath of fresh air. He actually understands me as well. In this small town it's hard to find that.

"Hey, Y/n!" I heard a familiar voice say. When I looked up I saw one of the farm hands jogging towards me. It was a guy named Chris. He had short black hair that was styled with some kind of product. He had a white tank top on underneath a blue flannel shirt that was unbuttoned. Blue jeans and work boots as well. He had worked for my dad for a while and the two of us were friends. "Hey, what's up?" I said with a small smile. I marked my place in my book and laid it on my lap.

"Is your mom home?" He asked. As he got closer I noticed that he looked worried. "No. Why?" I replied, feeling some anxiety in my stomach. "It's Barns, he cut his arm..." He didn't even get to finish what he was saying. "Does he need to go to the hospital?" I asked curiously as I stood up. "No, but he needs bandaged up. I'm having Jerry and Kevin bring him to the barn." He said, running a hand through his hair. I told him I would meet them there. I ran to the house to gather a few things.

I made sure I had everything I needed before going to the barn. When I walked inside I noticed that Jerry and Kevin had went back to work. Chris was the only one there with Barns. "There she is. She'll get you patched up, I have to get back to work." Chris said before leaving. There was a bathroom in the barn, so I took him there. "How did you get hurt?" I asked curiously as I gently washed his wound with warm water. "Clumsiness." He replied with a small laugh.

I warned him that the medicine would sting a little. He winced and then I quickly bandaged him up. We talked as I did so. I wanted to make sure he wasn't feeling faint or anything. He wanted to get back to work, but I told him no. I said he could relax for the rest of the day. We went to the house where I gave him some ice tea. "I hope your dad won't be mad at me for this." He said, breaking the comfortable silence. "He won't, I promise." I said. I wanted to assure him that my dad wasn't a mean person.

The two of us sat and talked the rest of the day. I caught myself getting lost in his pretty blue eyes, and got butterflies. I hadn't felt this way about anyone before, so I was nervous. But I kinda liked the way he was making me feel.

+++++++++++++++++
A/N: Thanks for reading!! Remember to vote, comment, share, etc. :) <3