The Shadows

There was a knock on my door, which surprised me. I wasn't expecting anyone to visit, especially not this late. 'Who could it be?' I thought as I walked towards the front door. "Who is it?" I asked curiously. "My name is Barns. I'm lost... could... could you help me?" A male voice said on the other side of the door. I felt a little nervous it was stranger, and a man. But I didn't want to seem rude, so I opened the door. When he laid eyes on him I started to feel sorry for him.

He was soaking wet from the downpour of rain we were having. He didn't have an umbrella or rain coat with him. "Come in, you must be freezing. What are you doing out in this weather anyway?" I said as I let him inside. I closed and locked the door behind him; just so no burglars could walk in or anything. "I went for a walk and I kinda went a little too far off the trail I guess." He replied. There was sadness and pain in his gentle blue eyes. I told him to stay there while I got him some dry clothes.

While he went into the bathroom to have a hot shower, I made us some tea. I figured a hot beverage would help him warm up. It wasn't very cold out, just enough to chill your bones. When he came back into the living room, he sat down on the couch. "Oh, thank you. You're so kind." He said as he took the tea I offered him. His words made me feel warm inside. "Don't mention it." I replied with a small smile. I suddenly realized how handsome he looked.

He had platinum blonde hair with dark brown roots. It was shoulder length and kinda curly. His blue eyes were probably the prettiest blue I had ever seen. And his lips looked so plump and cute. I wondered if he had a significant other, and if they were searching for him. "Do you have any family or friends that might be worried about you?" I asked him, breaking the comfortable silence. "No... no, I don't." He replied softly.

The sadness in his voice made my heart ache a little. "Oh." I said awkwardly. I wasn't exactly sure what to say. "It's okay. I'm use to being on my own." He said after he glanced at me, noticing the sympathy in my expression. "Still... everyone deserves to have someone. Even if it's just one good friend." I replied. A small smile tugged at the corners of his lips. "If that's the case then... can I consider you as a friend? You were kind enough to help me, and you seem like a nice person." He replied softly.

"Sure." I said with a small smile. His smile grew, and mine did too. He had a contagious smile. As we finished drinking our tea, we talked about ourselves. Just so we knew each other a little better. We didn't really share anything that was personal. The sound of the rain and the crackle of the fire in the fireplace was soothing. I must have accidentally fell asleep sometime during the night. When I opened my eyes I was in my bedroom. I rubbed my eyes and stretched a little.

'How did I get in my bed?' I wondered curiously. I laid there for a few minutes before getting out of bed. I took a quick shower before getting dressed. When I walked downstairs I could smell breakfast being cooked. I furrowed my brows in confusion. But when I saw Barns standing in front of the stove everything came back to me. "Good morning." I said as I walked further into the kitchen. "Good morning." He replied, glancing at me with a small smile.

The curtains in the kitchen were drawn shut. I usually keep them open most times, but I guess Barns had shut them. I wondered why, but I didn't ask. "You didn't have to cook breakfast." I said as I poured myself a cup of coffee. "I wanted to. It's the least I can do for how kind you've been to me." He replied with a small smile. When the food was ready he filled my plate. I couldn't help but notice he didn't fill a plate for himself. "Aren't you going to eat?" I asked him curiously as we sat at the table.

"No, I ate earlier." He said as he poured himself a cup of coffee. "Oh, okay." I replied before I started eating. The eggs and everything was perfect. I mentioned it and thanked him once again. My compliments seemed to make him happy. "I'm glad you like everything. I'm kind of use to only cooking for myself." He said awkwardly. After eating I helped him wash the dishes and then brushed my teeth. I glanced outside and noticed that the skies were still gray.

It wasn't raining though, so that was a good thing. When I got back into the living room Barns was adding wood to the fire. The curtains were closed in that room too. I didn't say anything about it that time either. I asked if he wanted to watch tv, and he said yes. Since I mostly lived alone I was actually enjoying his company. I wondered if he would try and go back home or just stay with me. If he did stay then we would have to go but him some clothes.

+++++++++++++++++
A/N: Thanks for reading!! Remember to vote, comment, share, etc. :) <3