Subject 404 | Part 2

Months passed of me regularly visiting Subject 404. I later learned that his name was Barns. He gradually opened up to me, and I shared little bits about myself as well. He was nice and very interesting. I hated that he had to endure experiments my coworkers were forcing on him. I wished that Dr. Carter had never been appointed head of the testing department. If he hadn't then the experiments wouldn't have became so violent.

I felt bad for Barns as well at the other people kept at this facility. After getting to know him I noticed that I was getting attached to him. I enjoyed the time I had with him every day, even if it was limited. "Don't go." He said when my work phone alarm went off. Our session ended for the day and I sighed in disappointment. "I'm sorry, but I have to. We can talk more tomorrow." I said as I gathered my things.

When I looked up at him, he gave me those puppy eyes and pouty lips. Something he always did to try and make me stay. I have to admit that his expression softened me, but I couldn't give in. If I did then he would know he had influence over me. "Take this with you. I want you to have it." He said softly as he stood up and handed me a beautiful red rose. "It's beautiful! Where did you get it?" I replied with a smile. There was no way he could have ordered the rose or even grown in. It was obvious that he had supernatural abilities.

Even though he seemed like he was in good spirits, I could tell he wasn't doing well. The experiments made him look pale and sickly. I noticed that he hasn't been eating as much as he should be. I wish there was something more that I could do to help him. To help all of the people here. "That's my little secret." He said with a charming and genuine smile. I admired the rose and breathed in it's lovely scent.

"I'll see you tomorrow. And try to eat more than you have been tonight, okay? For me?" I said softly as I walked towards the door. His eyes softened and he nodded a little. "I'll try." He replied. I gave him one last smile and said goodbye again. When I opened the door I was shocked that Dr. Carter was standing right outside. 'What is he doing here?' I wondered. I internally groaned, expecting him to ask me out on a date... again. I didn't understand why he wouldn't just give up pursuing me. I guess he can't take rejection well, unfortunately.

I didn't even get to close the door behind me he was so close to me. "So... I saw that you filled out papers to stop intense experimentation. What do you have to say for yourself!? You're trying to stall progress!!" Dr. Carter yelled at me, which took me off guard. He had never yelled at me like that before. I could feel the heat of his breath on my face as he shouted. He was acting very unprofessionally, but I don't think he understands professional behavior anyway.

"You don't understand how damaging these experiments are. They're harming the patients, and some of the tests cause long term damage. You should be bettering them, not killing them." I replied. I didn't raise my voice at him like he had me, which was a challenge. His behavior and treatment to our patients infuriated me. "You've been against me since the moment I got hired here! Maybe you should start looking for a new job!!" He said with rage in his dark eyes. "You're just reacting like this because I don't want to go out on a date with you. You're unprofessional and petty." I said, starting to boil with rage.

The world around me started spinning when I felt a hand hit my face. It took me a moment to realize Dr. Carter had slapped me in the face. By the time I got my bearings I noticed that Barns had exited his room. I completely forgot that I didn't get to lock his door behind me. "How dare you hurt them!! You'll pay for that!!" Barns yelled as he attacked Dr. Carter. In seconds he was laying on the ground on his back. I watched as Barns ran down the hall. He didn't stop or slow down, and I didn't stop him, because I knew he would be punished if he got caught.

Kevin came running down the hall looking panicked. "What happened?! Did the subject attack you two?" He asked as he took in the scene in front of him. "No, Dr. Carter came at me and I couldn't close Barns's door. Carter started yelling at me and he hit me. Barns was just trying to defend me." I replied. Kevin was furious about what Dr. Carter did. He walked with me to the break room and gave me some water to drink. Officers came in and I made a statement about what happened.

Eventually I was able to go home. Kevin helped make it possible for me to cut my day short. I thanked him for that. "Call me when you get home, okay? I wanna make sure you made it safely." Kevin said as he walked me to my car. I told him that I would, thanking him one last time. After saying our goodbyes I drove to my apartment. As soon as I got inside I locked the door behind me.

I smiled softly when I looked down at the red rose in my hand. It was hard to believe that I still had it after what happened. I quickly put the rose in a slim vase with water. Then I decided to take a bath to try and relax. When I was finished I dried off and put on some comfortable clothes. Sweatpants and an oversized t-shirt was my outfit of choice. When I walked into the living room I almost had a heart attack. Barns was standing there in the middle of the room.

+++++++++++++
A/N: Thanks for reading!! Remember to vote, comment, share, etc. :) <3