The Fog | Part 3

I was woken up by loud knocking at my front door. 'Who could that be?' I wondered as I rubbed my eyes. I moved the covers off of me and slowly got out of bed. I grabbed my flashlight before walking downstairs. When I reached the front door I peeked out of the side window. The porch light shinned on a familiar person. He was dressed in all while. 'Why is he here? What could he want at a time like this?' I wondered. It was three in the morning after all. "Hey, what are you doing here at this hour?" I asked after opening the door. "Could I stay with you?" He asked, which kinda surprised me. "Why? What's wrong?" I asked curiously with furrowed brows. 'Did something happen to his house? Did he have roommates that kicked him out?' I thought.

"Well... I have a little house in the woods I followed you out of. Its... It's not really built for cold weather." He said. I noticed it had started snowing. There was a light dusting of it sticking to the ground. "Sure, come in and get warm." I said as I moved so he could walk into the house. I closed and locked the door behind him. I turned on a few lamps just so the light wouldn't be too bright. "Thanks." He said with a deep sigh. It was obvious he was relived that I allowed him to stay with me. I felt sorry for him. But it was clear that he hadn't been here long, at least not in this neighborhood. Otherwise he would have found another place to live; one that's more equipped for winter.

"Are you hungry? Do you want something warm to drink?" I asked as I gathered a pillow and some extra blankets for him. "Yes please." He replied. I sat the pillow and blankets on a nearby chair as he sat down on the couch. Then I walked into the kitchen. I made him a sleepy time tea and I heated up leftover chicken noodle soup. When everything was ready I took it into the living room for him. "Thank you so much. I don't know how I'll be able to repay you." He said before taking a sip of tea. "There's no need for you to repay me. I'm just glad you came to me instead of freezing to death." I said as I sat down next to him. He was still cold, but I knew he would warm up eventually.

I sat and took a few sips of my water. I would have drank a tea myself, but if I did I knew I would be up all night peeing. When he was finished eating I washed his bowl and spoon. It took him a little longer to finish his tea. I noticed he didn't have his red eyeshadow or red lipstick on tonight. He thanked me once more as I took his empty cup and washed it as well. "You can go to sleep whenever you want to. Just remember to turn off the lights." I said before yawning a little. "I'm sorry I woke you up." He said with big sad eyes that made me feel soft inside. "It's okay." I said with a small smile. I pointed out the blankets and pillow. I said goodnight before walking upstairs to my room. It took me a while to go back to sleep, but eventually I did.

I woke up the next morning at nine o'clock and got out of bed. Once I was dressed I looked out of the window and saw that we didn't get too much snow. Something I was grateful for, but it was still cold. I walked downstairs and saw that Barns wasn't on the couch. But I could hear the shower running in the downstairs bathroom. I walked into the kitchen and started making breakfast. I made pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, and toast. I also made us some coffee, but I set out stuff for tea in case he preferred tea. As I was cooking I could hear him singing in the shower. I smiled softly and enjoyed the muffled concert that was going on. After a while the shower turned off. By the time he came out the food was almost ready.

"Something smells delicious." He said as he brushed some of his damp hair out of his face. "I hope you'll like it." I replied with a small smile. "I'm sure I will. I haven't  had a proper meal in a long time. Thanks for making breakfast." He said happily. "No problem." I said, feeling bad for him. I wondered how long he was staying in that house in the woods. I never saw a house there out of all the times I've walked though that place. But I guess maybe it was just deeper into the trees or something. I pressed my thoughts aside as I helped fill our plates. I asked him if he wanted coffee or tea, and he said coffee. So I filled two mugs; one for him and one for me. We sat down at the small kitchen table and quietly ate. By the time we were finished eating everything was gone. I didn't have any leftovers I needed to put away.

'We must have been really hungry this morning.' I thought as I sat back into my chair. He sat back in his chair too as he sipped on the last of his coffee. After a few minutes I started to collect all of the dirty dishes. "Here, let me help you." He said as he stood up and started helping me. "Thanks." I said with a small smile. "It's the least I can do after everything you've done for me." He replied. We quietly washed and dried the dishes. "How long have you been in town?" I asked him curiously once we put everything away. "Six or seven months. I've been living in that small house in the woods since April." He said with a deep sigh. "I'm guessing you don't have the money for an apartment or motel room." I said, wondering where he came from. 'Where was he living before he came here?' I thought curiously. But I didn't wanna ask too many questions so soon.

"Yeah, but... it's a lot more complicated than that. I don't wanna talk about it just yet. I'm still processing everything." He said. There was a far away look in his blue eyes and a blank expression on his face. "I'm sorry I brought it up." I said as I grabbed a water and stepped into the bathroom to brush my teeth. I kept the door open though; it wasn't like I was going to use the toilet or anything. "No, it's okay. I would be curious too. Especially since you're letting a stranger stay in your home." He said with a small awkward laugh. When I was finished brushing my teeth he did the same. I sat in the living room and turned on the tv. I wanted to check to see what the weather was going to be today. Hopefully it wouldn't be too bad, because I had to go out and buy groceries.

++++++++++++++++
A/N: Thanks for reading!! Remember to vote, comment, share, etc. :) <3