𝐸𝓅𝒾𝓁𝑜𝑔𝓊𝑒

Song: My wish by Rascal Flatts

**

Alexandra Ariana Marino

Wednesday May 14, 2025

Graduation is bittersweet.

You move onto the next chapter of your life unsure of what's going to happen now and that's both thrilling and terrifying. A lack of control.

I need some form of stability and right now? Everything feels wrong.

So here I am sitting in my brother's car silently panicking.

"Are you okay Kiddo?" Romeo asks.

I didn't even notice everyone else had left the vehicle and Romeo was crouched down with my hands in his. I guess I completely zoned out.

"Just nervous I guess." I shrug trying to ignore my shaky hands.

He quickly wrapped his arms tightly around me and whispered "Don't be nervous Xandra, You'll do great. Now let's go and show everyone who exactly Alexandra Marino is."

I wish just for once my family would hear my silent cries.

**

"And without further ado it is my privilege and honor to welcome our 2024 valedictorian Alexandra Marino to the stage.

Alexandra is the daughter of Massimo and Aurora Ferrari and has been awarded an academic scholarship to the school of her dreams, Harvard university. Alexandra is graduating with a 5.59 HPA and a perfect 4.0 GPA.

Alexandra I speak for all of the teachers and staff when I say we are all very proud of your accomplishments over these last four school years."

I step up to the podium, take a deep breath, Dante and Manuel are both nodding from the seats with encouragement.

"Trustees, faculty, underclassmen, family, friends, and of course my fellow graduates, I'm sure you all know who I am but in case there are a few of you that have lived under a rock for the last four years, my name is Alexandra Marino.

I was originally born in Italy, specifically a small village called Portofino but I'm sure none of you have heard of it considering the American school system failed all of us. My entire immediate family up and moved to the states when I was only two. We started in Las Vegas, Nevada for a few years and then when I was six we left our home again and we have been here in New York City ever since, but I'm sure you're not here to learn my entire life story.

Standing up here today has made me discover how much I loath public speaking and believe it or not but I'm actually quite nervous. 

Real quick, I want to give a quick thanks to both of my parents. They have easily provided me with all the resources and opportunities to flourish, even with the unfortunate fact that he was unable to physically be beside me for eight years of my school life.