𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝐸𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉

Song: Take on the world by you me at six

**

Alexandra Ariana Marino

Saturday February 10, 2024

I don't think people realize how exhausting birthday can be when you are at war with your own mind.

If you told me a year ago that I would be spending this day with my entire family, including my parents, I would have thought you were insane.

Especially given the fact a year ago I thought my parents were dead.

So much has changed that I'm almost afraid that I'm going to end up waking up and be stuck in a room with Amado or Jasper again just like I was the last few years, although I know its over I suppose healing takes a bit longer.

I'm getting better day by day but recovery from eight years of trauma doesn't just go away, my therapist told me it will never go away which sucks but she also said soon there will be more good days than bad days and even though the bad days may never entirely go away... I am learning how to cope with them now.

Soon the bad days will be few and far between, and even though I lost my entire childhood to monsters, I refuse to allow them to take my adult years as well... Just one more year.

"Happy seventeenth to us." Alessio whispered from beside me as we watch our laughing family.

"Happy seventeenth to us." I nodded.

A year ago I would have wished for death, as a matter of fact... I did wish for death.

Now? I'm not sure what I would wish for,

A happy ending perhaps.

Maybe one day I could fall in love, the kind of love that only exists in those books I am obsessed with.

No... A happy ending will do just fine.

"Alex... There's someone here that wants to speak with you!" I hear my mom shout from the foyer.

I really don't want to get up but she's scary when you don't listen.

Don't get me wrong, my mother is a true angel, she's the sweetest woman alive.. She actually deserves the 'Angel' nickname far more than I do, but she can also be intimidating as hell when she wants to be.

Without delaying anymore I stood up from the large sofa and started waling in the direction is the front door, and I'm not sure who I was expecting since everyone I associate with are in the house, but I definitely wasn't expecting the person who was standing text to my mom, shifting awkwardly on her feet.

"Sally?" The shock in my voice was evident, I can see a light bruise on her cheek bone as her eyes shift to me.

"I'll give you two some privacy." My mom stated before walking further into the house.