Chapter 68

~the next day~

Kassidy is at the morgue with Alice, Betty, and Kevin.

"I'm hoping we already know the answer, Dr. Curdle Jr, but...Is this my sister's body?" Betty asks.

"Your sister's been missing for a week. These remains have been in Swedlow Swamp for approximately three years. The bog preserved her." Dr. Curdle Jr says.

"Well, do you have a cause of death yet?" Betty asks.

"At first blush, blunt force trauma to the head." Dr. Curdle Jr says.

"What happens to the body now, to her?" Kevin asks.

"Without identification, she'll be sent to the crematorium for disposal." Dr. Curdle Jr says.

"Dr. Curdle, will you just wait a beat while I do some digging for her identity?" Kassidy asks.

"Of course." Dr. Curdle Jr says.

"Right. I'm going back to Swedlow Swamp. Polly, or at least her phone is still out there." Alice says before leaving. Kassidy goes to the Sheriffs station.

"Kassie, what can I help you with?" Sheriff Keller asks.

"Mr. Keller, I was wondering if I could get any missing persons report of females from 3 years ago?" Kassidy asks.

"Yeah, I have one from the last 7 years" Sheriff Keller says looking through his file cabinets.

"Thank you Sheriff Keller: I'll have this back in no time" Kassidy says as he gives her a file.

"Of course and take your time" Sheriff Keller says then Kassidy puts the file in her bag before heading home and changing for school.

Kassidy then heads to the school and teaches her classes. In between her classes she goes through the file. After school she goes through it a bit more before going to the morgue with Betty.

"So I went through all the archives in the Sheriff's office, Dr. Curdle, and there was only one missing person file in the last seven years. Margaret Harper." Kassidy says.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Stone, but Margaret Harper isn't a match, either. According to this police report, Margaret had braces at the time of her disappearance. There's no evidence of braces on our Jane Doe." Dr. Curdle Jr says and Kassidy looks at Betty.

"Okay...So she's not Polly or Margaret. She's a third missing girl." Betty says.

"And three is a pattern." Kassidy says.