44. Pretend for My Sanity

"Look at her now!" Arthur declared it seemed like forever since Aislynn was out and about willingly. Jaeton slept contently in her arms after a long feeding, her breasts hurt but she wasnt as pale and smiled seeing her family around her.

"A fucking fortnight, Amoret you left me alone with them. I almost killed them." John remarked.

"Give me the babe." Arthur requested. "There he is, there he is." Jaeton blinked awake as Arthur took him from AIslynn. Alicent held gently to her sister. Aislynn couldnt stop her smile as Arthur put his hat on Jaetons head.

"He looks just like me!" Arthur declared.

"Heavens no

"Heavens no." Tommy corrected. "He is too cute."

"I'm cute." Arthur corrected.

"You okay mum?" Finn questioned holding onto her.

"I'm happy." Aislynn remarked leaning into him.

"You gave me scare." Otto remarked kissing her head. "I thought I was going to lose you." 

"I dont think I would have kept going without Tommy." Aislynn remarked as he moved closer. 

"You didnt need me. You are so strong, my little fighter." TOmmy corrected. "But you always have me." he assured hugging her. She nodded into him.

"You dont see it?" Arthur pondered. "Look, the hat, we are twins." Jaeton stared back down at them as Arthur held him up. 

"My turn." otto requested reaching for Jaeton. 

"Father didnt dote over my children." ALicent reminded Aislynn. 

"You didnt dote over your children." Aislynn corrected gently. 

"Good point." Alicent agreed. "I also didnt almost die and give us all heart attacks." 

"Yeah, that will really bring everyone together. Bonding over near death experiences. I remember, you remember that time Tommy was beaten by whats his face..." Aislynn prompted. 

"Campbell." Tommy groaned out. 

"Thats right." Aislynn agreed. "You and father were in a fight about your future and then you damn near died and everything was right in the world again." 

"Your brothers have had a lot of near death experiences, too many for any fathers liking." Otto agreed. 

"And thats just the ones you know about." John murmured. 

"What?" Otto countered his head snapping around. 

"Come on pops we are not kids, we dont tell you everything." Arthur reminded him. 

"Can we pretend for my sanity that you do?" Otto countered. "Oh speaking of future, I found a lovely woman at the sept in old town, she is looking for a husband-"

"Go for it." Arthur agreed. 

"I thought you two could meet." Otto corrected. "Her name is Linda, she seems a kind woman."  AIslynn cackled out. 

"Arthur will rip that poor girl apart." Aislynn corrected. "He needs someone with fire." 

+

"Morning."

Aislynn liked that Harwin was trying again. She liked that he seemed to love her. He woke up kissing her every morning. She had grown used to it, the touch, the warmth of his lips on her skin first thing. Even before she opened her eyes. She liked sleeping beside him. SHe liked that he wrapped his arms around her as though he was protecting her in the night. SHe loved that morning kiss. It made her feel loved and special again. It made her feel like Jaeton really was their fresh start, their do over. 

Life was great. Something Aislynn didnt think she would be saying after her past few years of emotional whiplash with Harwin. But she was a mother and Harwin was the loving and devoted father and husband. It made her think things were looking up for them.

Otto had stayed for the moon and the next. He claimed it was to keep an eye on Aislynn and Jaeton but Aislynn saw him wandering the halls hoping for an in, back into the council. Showing he was trusting but Viserys offered him kind smiles and nothing to go off of. How was he supposed to be back be the hand if Viserys was content with Lyonel Strong?

Otto should have been happy. Lyonel, hell everyone knew of Harwin's infidelity, his sons were not the quietest when they were in the tavern demanding Harwin was an idiot for tossing their sister aside for a pompous, self righteous princess that held such double standards in life. In love.  Not caring about the repercussions of her actions, only her pleasure. And since she was the princess, the heir, she got away with everything. 

Harwin was sweet and attentive and loving. He focused on her and Jaeton. He didnt look twice at Rhaenyra. She felt a warmth like no other. Jaeton really was their miracle baby. Aislynn peppered his face with kisses as Harwin got ready for work. She heard the bed creak slightly as he sat down lacing up his boots.

"You gonna be a warrior like daddy and your uncles?" Aislynn coed as Jaeton babbled and coed up at her. "You are, so strong already..." he kicked his legs as though he was swimming as she tried to change his dirty diaper. She pined the fresh cloth back into place once he stopped moving and he gave her the biggest smile. 

"Love you." Harwin whispered kissing her neck hands gliding over her hips before he headed out. 

"And I Love you, Jaeton." She echoed before cradling Jaeton to her. "Are you hungry again my love?" She coed getting settled on the couch. She felt his gummy toothless mouth sucking at her happily as soon as she loosened her dress. 

"My aunt used to say goals are the future we'll never have, dreams are the future we're too afraid to have, and reality is what you never could have imagined." Aislynn remarked as she held Jaeton close. "But holding you in my arms I want all your goals, all your dreams, I want you to have everything you could have ever imagined and more. I'm going to make sure of it."