Chapter 67-The Phone Call

"These are some sweet digs." Fester commented "How'd you swing your own single?"

"Our former roommate couldn't handle my toxic personality."

Fester sighed thoughtfully "Mmm." He flicked through the diary until he found what he was looking for. "Here it is. Faulkner describes Hydes as artists by nature, but equally vindictive in temperament. Born of mutation, the Hyde lays dormant until unleashed by a traumatic event or unlocked through chemical inducement or hypnosis. This causes the Hyde to develop an immediate bond with its liberator, who the creature now sees as its master. It becomes the willing instrument of whatever nefarious agenda this new master might propose."

Fester looked at the girls and told them "Anyone willing to unlock a Hyde is a next-level sicko."

"That means we're not looking for one killer but two. The monster and its master."

Suddenly there was a knock at the door and Miss Thorn-Hill walked in.

"I didn't mean to startle you." She told them "I was just working on my novel." Wednesday lied.

"Enid has requested to room with Yoko for the rest of the school year."

"She did?" Monday asked sadly.

"When there's a falling out, I like to get all the girls' perspectives on what happened. You three seemed as thick as thieves." Thorn-Jill said.

"Ultimately, thieves turn on each other. I've seen it with my own eyes." Wednesday said ignoring what the teacher had meant.

"Deflect all you want, but you and I both know that you both care about Enid. And you have to admit she managed to bring out a spark of warmth in you. Oh, don't worry. Just a tiny spark. Barely perceptible to the average eye, but... I noticed. Part of the dorm experience is making friends with people that you wouldn't normally connect with. And those friendships often turn into lifelong bonds." Miss Thorn-Hill explained.

"I would rather buy a rope." Wednesday said.

"Is it really so difficult for you to admit that you made a friend, and now that she's gone you might actually miss her?" The teacher asked. Monday looked down. She will miss Enid but she can't say that now. Wednesday would look at her and only see a weakness and try and be rid of her to.

"I'll survive alone with Monday. I always have."

"Well, if that's your decision, I'll submit the forms to Principal Weems."

The teacher left the dorm. "Uncle Fester?" Monday called not seeing where he had disappeared to.

"Uncle Fester?" Wednesday asked.

"Hey! Being a solo lobo has its perks. You get to live by your own rules, do whatever you want. Just look at me." Fester assured.

——————————————————

"Hi. Um, I need to talk to you. No, like... like, right now. Yeah, I know where that is. Okay, I can meet you there in, like, 20 minutes. Okay. Bye." Xavier said in the phone.

"Who're you talking to?" Wednesday asked suspiciously. "It's none of your goddamn business." Xavier told her walking away.

"I know what you are, Xavier." Wednesday called after him.

"Can you stay the hell away from me?" He yelled running away.

——————————————————

"Did you place the tracker?" Wednesday asked Uncle Fester.

"Don't worry. Uncle Fester's got you covered."

"I don't think we should be doing this" Monday told them.

"It's fine" Wednesday said as the teacher beeped to life.

"Okay. Let's hit the road." Fester revealed a motorbike with a side car witch looks like a Dalmatian. The girls looked at him "What? I picked it up on my way out of town. You know me. I like to travel incognito." They all got ready to go by putting helmets and goggles on.

"Come on, let's roll!" Fester yelled.

——————————————————

"Hey! What's so urgent?" Kimbott asked getting out of her car when she saw Xavier. "What happened?"

"I had a dream where you died" he told her.

Kimbott scoffed "Get in the car."

——————————————————

Wednesday walked into Principal Weems's office without Monday. She still did not believe that Xavier was guilty.

"Principal Weems, it is imperative I speak with you about Dr. Kinbott."

"Wednesday. We were just talking about you." Weems told her.

Kinbott walked out from behind Wednesday "Speak of the devil"

"And she shall appear." Monday finished.

"Dr. Kinbott was just discussing your and Monday's assessment. I need to sign off on it before she hands it in to the court." The principal explained.

"Well, what's the verdict, Doctor? Are we cured?" Wednesday asked sarcastically.

"I'm glad you find it amusing. The judge assigned to your case won't." Kimbott aid without a smile.

"I've explained to Dr. Kinbott that you've recently been taking small but meaningful steps towards embracing your new Nevermore family."

"Yes. I think I've actually reached the half-hug stage. I've been reading about hypnotherapy. It might be a good technique to unlock my inner Wednesday. Are you a devotee?" She asked the Dr.

"Yes, very much so. I applaud your new willingness to delve deep into yourself. I'm seeing you on Monday. We can start then.

"What did you so urgently need to discuss, Wednesday?" Weems asked.

"It can wait. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some homework to finish."

Wednesday walked out of the room and closed the door.

——————————————————

"Kinbott has to be Xavier's master." Wednesday explained her theory to Uncle Fester.

Fester spoke "Hmm. The Hyde lays dormant until unleashed by a traumatic event or unlocked through chemical inducement or hypnosis. Mmm!"