Chapter 61-The Mayor

This is where Garrett Gates lived. The boy my father was accused of murdering. The sheriff told us his family died, along with their legacy of hate. But ghosts don't kill the living. Goody showed us this house for a reason. I need to unlock its secrets, or die trying.

Suddenly the Mayor walked out of the house quickly and locked the door.

"We need a distraction." Monday told Thing and he scurried off.

"Sheriff, pick up your damn phone, it's Noble. Listen, I might have figured out who's behind all of this."

While the Mayor was speaking Monday and Wednesday sneaked into the back of his SUV "It's a long shot. I'm gonna have to lay it out for you. We'll do it over pie at the Weathervane, just like the old days. See you soon.

——————————————————

The Sheriff was sat at the table waiting for The Mayor when he saw Mayor Walker crossing the road. Suddenly a car came flying past and hit the Mayor before driving away.

The Sheriff let out a gasp as he ran outside.

Wednesday and Monday jumped out of the Mayors car and ran over.

"No!" He ran to the Mayors body "Noble! Call 911! Get an ambulance!" The ambulance arrived shortly and took Walker to the hospital.

The Sheriff took the Addams girls inside with him.
Galpin sighed "He's alive. Barely." He looked at the girls "I'll take you back after I get your statement."

"We already gave it to your deputy. Blue Cadillac with no license plates." Monday said.

"Yeah, I know. I want a better one. What were you doing in the mayor's SUV?" He asked.

"We saw him coming out of the Gates mansion." Monday explained.

"The Gates mansion. What the hell were you doing there?" Sheriff Galpin asked confused.

"House hunting." Wednesday told him sarcastically "We overheard the voicemail he left you. We were intrigued."

"Back when the mayor was sheriff, he used to have a lot of wild theories on cases that he couldn't solve. So... we'd dissect them over pie, sitting right back there in that booth. Most of the time they went nowhere."

"Call me old-fashioned, but when someone is run over on their way to give the police key information, it usually means they were onto something. And all signs point to the Gates family and that house." Monday explained.

"The Gates family. How? They're all dead. Every last one of them. And I don't believe in ghosts." Galpin said firmly.

"Maybe you should." Wednesday said and the two girls spent the rest of the time in silence as the Sheriff dropped them back off at Nevermore.

——————————————————

"How do you two end up at the center of every terrible thing that happens here?" Weems asked.

"Incredible luck." Wednesday said.

"As of now, the school is on full lockdown, and your off-campus privileges are revoked until further notice."

"No! Please Principal Weems. Me and Enid had a shopping trip planned next week" Monday begged.
Principal Weems wouldn't hear any of it and sent the girls back to their dorm.

——————————————————

Miss Thorn-Hill came into the dorm to find Monday and Wednesday doing their own creative things.
"Wednesday, Monday, I just heard what happened to Mayor Walker. Are you both all right? I... I can't imagine witnessing something like that."

"It was on my bucket list." Wednesday said unfazed "You can tell the warden we're still in our cell."

"Principal Weems is only looking out for your best interests. You could have been seriously hurt or worse." Thorn-Hill said calmly

"Oh. How goes the novel?" She asked noticing Wednesday writing on her typewriter.

"Viper's investigation has been thwarted on several fronts, but she's plotting her next course of action." Wednesday explained.

"Sounds intriguing. I saw this on my bookshelf and thought of you. Mary Shelley wrote it on a dare when she was only 19." Thorn-Hill said giving Wednesday Frankenstein.

"I know. She's both my literary hero and nemesis, and I have two years and 364 days to beat her."

"Well, I think it's very smart that you're focusing on literary monsters, and leaving whatever real ones might be out there to the authorities."

Monday and Wednesday ignored her

" "No man chooses evil because it is evil." He only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks." Mary Shelley wrote that line to describe people like Weems, who do bad things under the guise of protecting the greater good." Miss Thorn-Hill told them.

"Did she put you up to this?" Monday snapped.

Wednesday scoffed "Encourage us  to pursue other interests?"

"No. But she will expel you if you continue to defy her." The teacher told them.

"So you're only looking out for our best interests?" Wednesday asked in mock happiness.

"Always." The teacher admitted "I think we're a lot alike."

"We aren't. We don't need your help or your pity. We already have a mother and a therapist. That's enough torture, even for us." Monday snapped at the teacher voice laced with hatred.