Chapter 56-Matching Snoods

"Careful," Wednesday said "that's my cold shoulder."

Enid sighed "Don't blame Thing. The party was my idea. Everyone deserves to be celebrated on their birthday."

"I prefer to be vilified." Monday said still painting.

"What happened?" Enid asked her "It looked like you were having a seizure."

"She wasn't that lucky. It's just a side effect during the visions we get." Wednesday explained.

"Can I at least get some kudos for pulling one over on you?" Enid asked.

"The subterfuge was impressive." Wednesday admitted whilst Enid smiled.

Thing began thudding against the floor under their beds.

They had a note each.
May your 16th be as sour and misery-filled as your desire. Your ever-doting mother and father.

"They asked Thing to hide it before they left on Parents' Weekend."

Wednesday opened hers.

"Ew!" Enid said "That's so gross."

Wednesday shrugged "I would've preferred live squirrels."

Monday opened hers and it was a box of even more art supplies. While Enid and Wednesday began to talk Thing gave Monday an envelope. Inside was a few pictures of her that had been hand drawn she knew immediately who it was. She hugged it to her chest and smiled to herself.

Enid looked suspicious "While we're still accepting presents..."

Enid gave them a package each. "Well, do you like it?" She asked.

"What is it exactly?" Wednesday asked confused.

"It's a snood, silly. I made it in your signature colors. And you want to know what the best part is? I have one too!"

Monday was awestruck no one had ever made her a gift they had only ever bought her things.

"We can wear them together to class."

"Yea-" Monday tried to say before Wednesday cut in.

"Oh, Enid, this is far too unique to wear to something like class. I suggest we wait for a more special occasion, like a funeral." Wednesday said sarcastically.

——————————————————

"Oh. You know, Lucas feels terrible about what happened at the dance." The Mayor said while walking the halls of Nevermore with Principal Weems.

"Forgive my skepticism, given his latest act of vandalism." Weems said.

"He had nothing to do with burning those words onto your lawn. He's been grounded for the last week."

"Fine. He does his community service here, and we forget it ever happened." Weems negotiated.

"Yes, well... I'm in your debt, Larissa" Walker said thankfully.

"I don't need your gratitude. Just find the delinquents responsible. Perhaps start with Lucas's cohorts."

"Right after we track down whatever attacked the Ottinger boy. Although all fingers would point to one of your own students." The Mayor told her.

"Careful, Noble. My charity has its limits." The Principal threatened.