Chapter 58-Hospital Visit

I haven't always been against birthdays. Each one reminds me I'm a year closer to death's cold embrace. What's not to like about that? Besides, my parents always made sure my birthdays were memorable. The perfect surprise. The perfect cake. The perfect party games. But now parties and presents and games, it... it all feels so trivial.

"Goody warned me I was destined to be alone, and that I would be sorry for it." Wednesday told Eugene as her and Monday sat at his bedside.

Someone suddenly cleared their throat.

"Dr. Kimbott" Wednesday greeted.

"I haven't seen you two since our session with your family, which was... certainly one I won't forget. How are things with them?"

"Our mother and us spent some quality time together. Got our hands dirty." Monday told her.

"Gardening?" Kimbott asked surprised.

"Grave-digging." Wednesday corrected.

"Hmm." Dr Kimbott replied.

"And we managed to keep our father out of prison." Monday added.

"What brings you here?" Wednesday asked.

"Eugene's moms, I'm working with them. Trauma like this leaves emotional scars on the whole family. They had to head home for a few days, so I promised I'd check in on him."

"We'll leave you to it." Wednesday said respectfully as her and Monday made for the exit.

"Who's Goody?" Kimbott asked.

"She's a very distant cousin. Very distant." Wednesday said.

"Sounds like she doesn't see you two for who you really are."

"She sees more than you know." Monday told Kimbott.

"I want to assure you we remain as cold and heartless as the first day we met."

Kimbott smiled at the girls "I doubt cold, heartless people would be sitting by their friend's bedside feeling guilt for his condition."

Wednesday looked agitated "We didn't ask for a free session." She snapped.

Dr Kimbott only nodded and smiled before saying "Consider it my birthday gift."