Chapter 21-Riddles

Principal Weems stood on the stage as she began to speak of the Poe Cup.
"The first Poe Cup took place in 1897 as a way to not only honor Nevermore's most famous alumni, but to celebrate those values that all outcasts share. Community, perseverance, and determination. And we certainly saw those values on display today."

"Yeah! Whoo! Yeah!" The crowd yelled.

Weems continued "Congratulations to Ophelia Hall! As a former resident, I will be happy to see the cup back on the mantle after all these years."

Monday sat down in a secluded corner with Wednesday. Enid ran over "What are you both doing down here?"

"Hiding. People keep randomly smiling at us, it's unsettling." Wednesday said.

"It's called having your moment. You took down Bianca Barclay. Try to enjoy it. The girls wanna know if you wanna hang out later." Wednesday gave Enid a look.

"Oh, come on, it won't kill you." Enid told them.

Wednesday shook her head no.
"I'll think about it." Monday said to Enid.

"Yes!" Enid celebrated walking over to the others.

Principal Weems walked up to the girls "It's good to see you fitting in. Just like your mother."

"Our mother and us are two different peoples/species/everything." Wednesday said harshly.

"The last time Ophelia Hall won the Poe Cup, your mother captained the team. I was her co-pilot. Maybe you are more alike than you think."

Nevermore continues to be an enigma. A place where the questions far outweigh the answers. But sometimes... the answer is staring you right in the face.

Don't worry, Edgar Allan. I see your sanctimonious smirk. But I will get the last laugh. Your penchant for riddles was legendary. And this might be your cleverest yet.

Because it's not a single riddle. Rather, each line is its own separate one.

"The opposite of moon." Wednesday read.

"Sun" Monday answered.

"A world between ours."

"Nether"

"Two months before June."

"April."

"A self-seeding flower."

"Pansy."

"One more than one."

"Two."

"Its leaves weep to the ground."

"Willow."

"It melts in the sun."

"Ice."

"Its beginning and end never found."

"Circle."

"Every rule has one."

"Exception."

"The answer will give a sharp cracking sound."

Monday read the first letter of each answer.
"S-N-A-P-T-W-I-C-E"

"Snap twice" Wednesday said.

They did and the Edgar Allen Poes statue moved backwards and revealed a staircase.

They walked down the staircase together and saw a library. They browsed through the books.

Secret societies. Hidden libraries. Our mother staring at us in a judgmental way. These are all things I've come to expect. But the minute we inch towards the truth...

Luckily, We're not afraid of the dark.

A bag was stuck on both of the girls heads and everything turned black.