Chapter 7-The Nurses Office

"Monday. Welcome back" a boy said as she rose from a bed. "Just take it easy. Nurse says you don't have a concussion ,but you might have a mast bump, huh?"

"The last thing I remember I was walking outside feeling a mixture of rage, pity for my sister"

"Losing to Bianca has that effect on people I think"

"Then I looked up and saw the gargoyle coming down and I thought at least I'll have an imaginative death." Monday thought hard about what happened after. "Then you tackled me out of the way. Why?"

"Call it instinct" the boy said with a click of his tongue.

Monday raised an eyebrows the boy  "So you were guided by latent chivalry, the tool of the patriarchy, to extract my undying gratitude?"

"Mm-hmm. Most people just say thank you" he told her.

"I didn't want to be rescued" Monday stated sharply.

"I shoulda just let that thing smash you to mush?" The boy asked.

"I would have rather saved myself" Monday said.

The boy shook his head with a small laugh "Good to see you haven't changed. If it makes you feel any better, let's just say I returned the favour." Monday looked confusingly at the boy.

"Xavier Thorpe" he carried on "You probably don't remember me. Last time we met I was about two feet shorter, 40 pounds heavier"

"What happened?" Monday asked.

"Puberty I guess" Xavier said.

"What happened the last time we met?" Monday clarified as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Oh. Uh" Xavier began to stutter. "Yeah, it...it was my godmothers funeral. She was friends with your grandmother, and they spent their twenties in Europe, swindling the rich and notorious."

Monday gave him a look to carry on with the story so he did.

"I don't know, but we were ten, and we were bored, we decided to play hide and seek. I had the inspired idea to hide in her casket. I got stuck as it was headed for the crematorium."

Monday began to remember "Me and Wednesday heard muffled screams. We just figured your godmother had cheated death and was trying to claw her way out."

Xavier shrugged " Either way, you hit the big red stop button and saved me from being flame-broiled. So ... now we're even."