Chapter 44-Parent's Weekend

How well do we really know our parents? Take our father. I've always considered him an open book. A man given to misguided schemes and exaggerated displays of affection. But when he was a student, he was accused of a murder that took place right up there. Which leads me to wonder...what really happened that stormy night 32 years ago?

——————————————————

"Ah, the fetid air of teenage angst. These were the best years of our lives, were they not, Tish?" Gomez said.

"They certainly were, mi cariño. I hope Wednesday and Monday are happy to see us. I left a dozen messages on their crystal ball. Still no reply." Morticia said worriedly.

"Fret not, my plum-lipped cupid. I'm sure they're dying to see us.

They all got out of the car when they pulled into Nevermore.

"Come on, let's go." Pugsley said excitedly not being able to contain his excitement about seeing his sisters.

——————————————————

Principal Weems stood on the stage giving her speech "Nevermore was created as a safe haven for our children to learn and to grow, no matter who or what they are." The crowd began to clap.

"I realize most of you have heard about the unfortunate incident involving one of our students. But I'm happy to report that Eugene is on the mend and is expected to make a full recovery. So let's focus on the positive and make this Parents' Weekend our very best yet."

Wednesday scoffed "On the mend? Try in a coma."

"Have you been to see him? You're his friends." Enid asked and Wednesday nodded.

Monday shook her head sorrowfully "I'm the reason he's in the hospital."

"That is not your fault, okay?" Enid reassured.

"Yes it is. If I hadn't made Wednesday come with me then Eugene wouldn't have been all alone." Monday explained guiltily.

"The monster hasn't attacked anyone in the past week."

"Maybe you finally scared it off. Or maybe it went into hiding to avoid this weekend."

Morticia smiled "Look at this. Some things never change."

"I knew I should have worn my plague mask." Monday remarked.

"Would you look at my family?" Enid said gesturing to a group of boys on a bench howling "Talk about toxic pack mentality. I give my mom 30 seconds before her judge-y claws come out." Enid sighed "Let's get this over with."

The roommates all went their separate ways.

"There they are. Oh, how we missed those accusing eyes and youthful sneers. How are you, my little rain clouds?" Gomez said happily.

"I thought Thing was filling you in on our every move." Monday said.

"I uncovered your feeble subterfuge almost immediately." Wednesday told them.

"So, how's the little fella doing? Does he still have all his fingers?" Gomez asked.

"Relax. I haven't snapped any of his digits. Yet." Wednesday said.

"So tell us everything." Morticia told her daughters.

"Since you've abandoned us here, We've been hunted, haunted... and Mondays been a target of an attempted murder."

Gomez sighed lovingly "Ah, Nevermore. I love you so."