Chapter 48-The Story

Morticia inhaled the smell of breakfast "Mmm. I am famished. You're not hungry, darlings?" Morticia asked her daughters.

"My appetite eludes me, Mother. The same way the truth eludes you." They walked away leaving their parents to talk.

"We need to tell them." Gomez told his wife.

"They'll  never believe us. We must stay strong. And hope that something more morbid comes along to distract them."

——————————————————
MEANWHILE AT ENIDS FAMILY

"So are you going to make me ask?" Her mother said.

Enid smiled "Ajax and I haven't defined our relationship yet."

"I'm not talking about boys. Have you wolfed out yet?"

"No."

"Well, that is a disappointment." Enid mother said

'That's me. A huge disappointment."

Suddenly the Sheiff stormed into Nevermore "Can I ask what this is about, Sheriff?" Principal Weems demanded.

"What's happening, Ms. Thornhill?"

"I have no idea."

Sheriff Galpin walked up to the Addams family. "Gomez Addams."

"How can I help you, Sheriff?" He asked.

Galpin cuffed him "You're under arrest for the murder of Garrett Gates. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

"Dad?" Monday called as the Sheriff took their father away.

"You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be appointed for you."

——————————————————
AT THE POLICE STATION

"My little tormentas, how's your mother?" Gomez asked his daughters.

"Devastated. She hates you in orange."

"I caught her laying a rose on a grave earlier today. The headstone read "Garrett Gates." The very boy you've been arrested for murdering. Care to explain?" Wednesday asked.

Gomez sighed "Garrett was infatuated with your mother. He mistook her kindness for interest. His infatuation turned into obsession, and he started stalking her."

"Why didn't you call the police?" Monday asked.

"We tried. But his family were the oldest and richest in Jericho. No one believed us. Garrett's father, an outcast-hating bigot, was furious that your mother had accused his only son. It all came to a head the night of the Rave'N Dance. Your mother and I stepped out to catch our breath."

"Addams he yelled. And that's when I saw him. He had broken into the school. His twisted love for your mother had made him insane. His eyes bore into me, brimming with murderous intent. Go. Get out of here. He won't hurt me. Garrett, no! Garrett, stop! Your mother had screamed."

Monday stared at him encapsulated by the story.

"My life flashed before my eyes. Driven by jealousy and hate, Garrett was unstoppable. When I saw the sword, my survival instinct kicked in. It was a terrible accident."