SEVENTY-TWO

It's been a few days since the girl's breakdown. Briella Swift felt herself getting better. Jeremiah hid all of the girl's weed in a place where he knew she wouldn't look. His underwear drawer. He was doing his best to get his friend back to normal.

And she was. He noticed her smiling more, making jokes. Of course, she still had someone of her moments, but it wasn't as bad as before. And besides, she's been journaling more. When she went to therapy last year, her therapist suggested to journal her thoughts. It helped her a lot.

The girl also had a long, a very long Facetime call with Taylor. Briella didn't know if she was confusing loving Jeremiah as a brother or as someone more. He has proven to her all this time how much he was willing to drop everything just to be with the girl. Taylor asked if her heart beats faster every time she's around him.

It didn't. Not as fast as it did with Conrad. And that was just him looking at her across the dining table during dinner. Conrad didn't have to say anything for the girl to be nervous. He hasn't tried talking to her. He was giving her the space she needed. But that didn't stop him from all the annoying, creepy stares he was back to doing. 

So that's when Briella knew Jeremiah was only a friend to her. And thank goodness for her because that's exactly how the boy felt about her. 

"Jere I have to tell you something." Briella said to the boy.

"Brie me too." Jeremiah said, patting the spot next to him on his bed. 

"You know I love you right Jere?" The boy nodded as she continued. "As a brother."

Jeremiah nodded. "I love you too Brie. As a sister." 

"And you've been a big help with everything but I just don't see you that way." Briella gently said, trying hard not to hurt the boy's feelings. But she was surprised to see the boy bursting into laughter. "Jere!"

"Oh you were serious?" The girl nodded. "Oh. Um I love how highly you think of yourself Little Brie, but like I said I love you as a sister."

"Really?" 

Jeremiah nodded. "And that was exactly what I was gonna tell you."

"Really?"

Jeremiah rolled his eyes. "Yes Brie. Stop being so slow. And besides I know you still love Conrad and I love Belly." 

Briella sighed as she saw a familiar shadow sitting outside. She walked outside and laid down on the chair near where the boy was laying. They stared at all the stars in the sky, not saying a word. They both didn't know what to say.

Conrad thought the girl forgot about him and moved on with his brother. Even if he pained him to see, he had to accept it. It was his fault. But little did the boy know nothing was happening between the two because the both liked 2 different people. 

Briella wanted to say something, really anything to escape this suffocating silence. But what was there to say? 

Hey sorry for blowing up on you the other day. I just have a weed problem but I'm getting better now. 

Uh no. The girl shouldn't be the one apologizing. She did nothing wrong. Her yelling at him was no where near as hurtful as what he did to her. She hated to admit it, but she missed the boy. Their morning surfs, muffin runs, exploring town together. She missed everything they had.

Even if it was only for a month. 

"You see that right there." Conrad said, pointing. "That's the Big Dipper. The only way you can tell is that it looks like a pot with a handle." Briella listened as the boy listed other stars he knew. It made the girl wonder how much the boy really knew about things. He never told anyone. Only certain people knew. And she was lucky enough to be apart of that. 

Conrad Fisher will always be the first boy she's ever loved. 

And she wanted him back.