EIGHTY

After various rounds of competitive Pictionary, everyone was tired and headed to bed. Her dad left to go back to his hotel while Laurel, Susannah, and Belly went to bed. Steven left to go see Shayla and Jeremiah and Conrad were doing whatever they did.

The girl volunteered to clean up. She staked the plates, wiping down any excess food, and then placed them in the dishwasher. The girl walked out with the dirty trash bag to put in the trash bin. Once she successfully put it in, she found Jeremiah outside. He was staring off in the distance. He barely even noticed the girl when she sat down next to him. "Hey JereBear."

"Hey Brie." Jeremiah said.

The girl didn't say anything else before pulling the boy into a hug. That only made the boy cry harder. The girl continued to stroke the boy's hair as they sat there in silence. The only thing that could be heard was Jeremiah's cries. And well that made the girl cry. The tears just kept coming out and didn't really stop until a good 5 minutes.

Jeremiah was always there for the girl, so she will be there for him. 

"I'm sorry. I ruined your shirt."

Briella smiled looking down at her sweatshirt. "It's not even mine."

"She isn't gonna make it is she?"

"She will Jere. She's a fighter."

"Your mom was a fighter, look at what happened."

Briella sighed thinking back to last summer. "My mom tried everything she can to get better. But she got so upset that it slowed her from coaching, she stopped the treatment."

"Mom isn't gonna try."

"She'll try if you tell her to try." Briella said, remembering back to the conversation she had with Susannah. "The more you don't accept this is reality, you'll end up regretting it because it'll be too late. Don't make the same mistake I did Jere. I was too late. I tried ignoring my mom was sick and when she died, I wished I could have spent more time with her. I wished I fought harder for her to try harder."

Jeremiah looked at the girl. "You really think I can change her mind?"

Briella nodded. "You can be persuasive sometimes."

"Thanks little Brie." Jeremiah hugged the girl. 

"You were there for me during my darkest times, so I'll be here for you."

"I love you little Brie." Jeremiah smiled. 

"I love you to JereBear."

There was something else the boy wanted to tell the girl. Even if he knew she'll kill him, she needed to talk to his older brother. The boy was sick of seeing both of them sad. And it would solve all their problems if they just talked. Clearly it wasn't normal for the two. "Can I ask you a favor?"

"Anything JereBear."

"Can you please talk to Conrad?"

Briella sighed. This was not the right time to talk to the boy. He just found out his mom has cancer. The last thing he probably wanted was talk about their relationship. "Jere..."

"He needs you right now Brie. You're the only one he'll listen. He'll talk to you. And it doesn't have to be about your relationship. It can be about this. He needs you." 

And that's exactly what the girl did. She gave the boy one last hug and a kiss on the cheek before walking to the one place she knew where Conrad would be.