SIXTY-ONE

After what felt like an extremely long drive home, she girl was happy to see the Fisher's home. And what surprised her the most was seeing her dad's car parked outside. She knew he was in town for a week for the deb ball, but what was he doing here?

Briella didn't bother thanking the boy as she slammed the door shut and walked out. Even if the girl said no to taking his clothes, she still put it on. What? It was cold. And it was fun seeing the boy glance over her naked body before it was covered in his clothes. It's so fun teasing him.

"Dad?" Briella said as she saw him in the kitchen with Susannah and Laurel.

"Hey little Brie." Drew smiled at his daughter. "What are you doing out so lat– oh." The man didn't finish his sentence before he saw someone else walk into the kitchen. Oh so that's where his daughter was.

"No we weren't, um..."

"It's great to see you Mr Swift." Conrad smiled. The man's opinion of him really mattered to the boy.

Drew only nodded at the boy before turning his attention back to his daughter. "You up for an ice cream run?"

All Briella wanted to do was curl up in her bed and sleep. She wanted to forget what a shit show today was. But ice cream did sound good right now.

"Sure let's go." Briella said to her dad.

"You wanna come son?" Drew asked Conrad who was about to respond but the girl beat him to it.

"He can't." Briella gave the boy a death stare.

"Oh. Ok." Drew said and followed his daughter out the house and was on their way to an ice cream shop that was opened 24/7. The girl didn't have to think twice but to get 1 scoop of mint chocolate chip and 1 scoop of rocky road. Her dad got 2 scoops of moose tracks.

They sat down at an open table and ate their ice cream quietly. Even if it was 10:42 at night, there were still quite a bit of people enjoying their ice cream.

After some silence, Drew finally broke up. "So do I need to kick Conrad's ass?"

"What?"

"There's clearly some tension between you two."

Briella sighed. Was it that obvious? "That obvious?"

Drew shook his head. "Not really. But for me I had my fair shares of relationships and I know when one is about to end."

Briella looked down at her ice cream no longer wanting to eat it. "He asked Belly to the deb ball."

"What?" Drew asked, surprised.

"After when he said he'll go with me."

"Wow."

"Yeah and I didn't even find out until he left Belly a weird message tonight. Were they were gonna tell me?"

"From my experience, no. They probably thought they were doing the right thing of keeping it from you."

Briella scoffed. "Some friend she is."

Drew sighed. He knows he hasn't been the best dad this past year, but he's trying. "I always thought you and Conrad had something. Even if you and Jere talk more, something about you and Conrad just felt right."

"Really?"

Drew nodded at his daughter. "Call it a father instinct."

"Well we broke up so your father instinct was off." 

"You know what I learned this past year?" Her dad asked as she shook her head. "Forgiveness. I spent years holding a grudge on your mom for not making time for me because she took her coaching job too seriously. She came home late, left early. I don't even remember the last time we had dinner together because she was always gone. And I regret not talking to her about it. Instead I held this anger towards her, which I knew I shouldn't have. I know that now. Because I should have supported her through it. She didn't mean to do it. It was her job. But not that she's gone, I just wished I talked to her about it."

Briella sniffed as she listened to her dad talk about her mom. "I didn't know you felt like this?"

"No one did." Drew said. "I held a lot in and I regret it because now it's too late to tell her. So I'm telling you now little Brie, don't hold grudges. Yes maybe Conrad and Belly did you dirty. And you have every right to be angry with them, but don't keep it to yourself. Confront them, tell them how much of a shit friend/boyfriend they were. They will never know what you are truly feeling if you don't tell them."

"I'm just scared. I don't want to lose them. They mean so much to me and maybe that's why it hurts more knowing they would do this to me."

Drew nodded. "And it's ok to think that. They both mean so much to you that's why it hurts more. But remember kiddo, nothing will be solved if you don't talk to them. Just think about it?"

Briella nodded as she enjoyed her time with her dad. For once in her life, things felt normal again.