FORTY-FIVE

"Everything ok little Brie?" Susannah asked the girl.

It was finally Briella's turn for her portrait. She was wearing her debutante dress, as per Susannah's request.

"It's just hot."

And it was. It was a good 99 degrees, the hottest day this week. And it didn't help she was wearing a tight, big dress that made her sweat everywhere.

Susannah nodded as she continued to paint the girl. "Everything ok with your dad?"

Briella scoffed. She hated talking about her dad. He clearly didn't care for her if he was willing to take someone he barely knew's side than his own daughter. Her old dad was long gone. "No."

"Just give it time little Brie, he'll come around."

Briella sighed. "I hope so. I just miss him that's all."

Susannah nodded. "You guys always had this special bond."

"Yeah we did." Briella smiled, trying to push all the memories she had with her dad. They were best friends. And it was all gone when her mom passed away. 

"So how are you and Connie doing?"

Briella smiled when she heard his name. It was hard to believe that that boy was her boyfriend. "We're good."

"He finally asked you to be his girlfriend?"

Technically he didn't. But it was somewhat implied that they were together or at least exclusive. "Yes."

Susannah nodded. Truth be told, the woman didn't think his son would date Briella. Well not his oldest son at least. She always thought Jeremiah and Briella were a better match. Conrad and Briella are too similar. They're both closed off people who barely express their emotions. So how could one know what the other one's feeling if both of them don't say it?

If anything Belly was a better match for Conrad. At least she would be able to crack him, emotionally. But she could be wrong.

"He's just been really sweet lately." Briella smiled. 

"That's Connie for you." Susannah chuckled. "Does that mean he's your escort to the deb ball?" The woman wanted to know. Her oldest son made it perfectly clear he wanted no part in it.

"Yeah. I asked him last week and he was on the fence about it, but I know he'll be there."

Susannah nodded. Maybe she was wrong. Maybe Conrad was meant to be with Briella, not Belly. She remembered the time when they were younger, he would do anything for the girl. But the woman couldn't help but think her Connie and Belly were a better match.