THIRTY-EIGHT

"Hey little Brie." Laurel smiled at the girl. She saw the girl sitting alone after dinner. It didn't take a genius to feel the tension between her, her dad, and new girlfriend. Maybe asking him to come wasn't the best idea. 

"Hey Laurel."

"You ok?"

Briella sighed as she started out to the distance. The sun was just setting. "No."

"I'm sure Kira isn't a bad person."

"She's using my dad for money."

"What?" Laurel asked, not sure if she heard correctly. But the girl's silence confirmed it. "What a gold digger."

"Yeah. I asked her when my dad's birthday was. She didn't even know. She said she loved my dad but only because he's paying for her student loans and probably everything else."

"Urg what a bitch. You should tell your dad Brie."

Briella shook her head. "He won't listen I know he won't. He'll think I'm making it up and knowing Kira she'll act all hurt and it'll create more drama."

"But he's your dad Brie." Laurel argued. 

"The old dad left when mom passed away. He's not the same anymore. He would rather spend his time with his new girlfriend and her son than his own daughter. And to think I thought it's because he was too busy with work. Does he hate me that much?"

"Hey don't say that little Brie." Laurel pulled the girl into a hug. "Your dad's only using Kira as an escape to escape reality. He doesn't want to believe what happened to your mom was real. He's grieving in a terrible way. I mean his girlfriend is 25."

"I was grieving too but where was he? I needed him and he wasn't there. I had no one." Briella sniffed, thinking back to last summer when she was alone. 

"I can talk to him if you want?"

Briella sighed. "You don't have to Laurel. I'm sure you have other problems to deal with than to help with mine."

"Little Brie how many times we I have to tell you I am here when you need me. Don't ever act like you're a burden to anyone. You are my special girl. Nothing will ever change that."

Briella sniffed. It's been a while since she's had an adult figure look out for her. She forgot what it felt like. In many ways, Laurel reminded her of her mom. They were both so calm but so feisty. "Thanks Laurel."

"Anything for you my little Brie. And I'm sorry for inviting him here. I just thought I could help but obvious it didn't."

Briella shook her head. "It's ok Laur. You were only trying to help. Did you know he was dating again?"

Laurel shook her head. "No. I'm surprised he even brought her here. But hey look at my ex husband."

"At least we have each other right? Us girls always gotta stick together." 

"Always little Brie. Because you know what they say, chicks before dicks." Briella snorted after hearing Laurel say that as both of them agreed to forget she even said that.