THIRTY-FIVE

"Hey Brie you have to try this." Belly said to her friend as her, Conrad, and Jeremiah saw the girl walk into the kitchen with a frown.

"Does it have alcohol in it?" Briella asked but didn't bother to hear their responses as she grabbed the tequila on the countertop. She poured herself a shot amount and drank it. The alcohol burned the back of her throat.

"Let me guess, talk with daddy didn't go well?" Jeremiah asked.

"Nope."

"What happened?" Belly asked.

"Turns out the times when he wasn't home, he was with his new girlfriend and son. Yeah that bitch is only 25, still in college, struggling to raise him so my dad stepped in." Briella scoffed. "And I really thought work kept him from me."

"Aw Brie." Belly hugged her friend.

"I'm over it."

"Well this will lift your spirits up."

"We are using the good blender." Conrad commented.

"As long as mine has more alcohol I'm good." Briella said.

Jeremiah put his arm around her shoulder. "Little Brie, remember the last time you drank?"

Oh she remembered it. She remembered it really well. And she could tell Conrad too with the way he was staring at the girl. "Nope. So let me recreate it."

Jeremiah sighed as he knew better than to stop his friend. She was that stubborn. All he needed to do is keep an eye on her and not let her do anything stupid.

"Wait, won't your dad be mad if he finds out?" Belly asked Conrad.

Conrad shrugged. "Well he's not gonna find out. He's not coming."

Briella watched as Conrad and Belly put in the ingredients for their new creation.

"We don't need another debacle." Jeremiah warned his brother.

"Yeah."

"Stop it, stop." Belly chuckled as she tried to stop Conrad from putting in more alcohol.

"More, more." Briella chanted. 

"No stop."

"A lot more, a lot more tequila." Jeremiah commented.

"No no no no no!." Belly said as she finally was able to take the tequila bottle away.

Conrad finally started the blender and was teasing his brother by not putting his hand on the lid. "No keep your hands on it. Keep your hands on it."

"Man you know what I miss?" Conrad asked as he stopped the blender.

"Huh?"

"Watching Laurel put dad in his place. You know she'd walk in, she'd be like Adam."

"Adam?" Laurel said as they all turned around to see the oldest Fisher walk in with a smile on his face. "You came."

Great.

"Happy Fourth."

"Dad!" Jeremiah said, pulling him into a hug. "You came."

"Hey. Hey guys. Hey Connie."

Briella could practically feel the annoyance coming from the boy across from her. She knew his relationship with his dad wasn't the best, but she didn't know it was like this. But she saw a little bit of hope in his eyes when the girl slid a shot of tequila in front of him.

The girl lift her glass up as he did too. They cheersed and drank it. In times like these, Conrad was glad to at least have her on his side.