FIFTY-FOUR

Briella always thought she was a better volleyball player than Belly. Who was she kidding? She is a better volleyball player than Belly. Not like it's a competition or anything. But the girl jumped at least 2-3 inches higher than her friend did. Her spikes had more power and velocity and don't even get her started with her blocks.

The girl was ranked 1st in blocks per set, kills per set, and aces per set not only on her team but out of the entire school district. Belly only received the captain status because Briella didn't want it. Her coach saw she wasn't emotionally ready for that task yet, so she gave it to Belly, the second best player.

Briella didn't bother looking at Conrad. She was mad at him. How dare he leave her hanging like that? Did he expect her to understand why he did what he did?

The girl took her frustration out on the ball. She couldn't help it. She should be doing this with Conrad. He should be on her side of the court not facing her across the net.

13-13.

Jeremiah has been playing well. He's passing well, serving well, really doing everything well for them to stay in the game. That was something Briella was afraid of. Because there was no doubt, Conrad and Belly were good. But Jeremiah was holding his own.

Jeremiah served the ball which was received by Conrad. Belly set the boy up and he prepared to spike. The girl was waiting patiently at the net to prepare for the block. As the boy jumped up to spike, the girl jumped as high as she could to block it. The whistle blew as the point was awarded to Team Briella.

Briella Swift blocked Conrad Fisher's hit.

The boy couldn't process what just happened. He didn't mean for this to happen. He wanted to be on his girlfriend's team. But Belly just asked, he had to help her. No one else would have.

The girl stared at the boy for a little longer before she walked back to high-five Jeremiah who had a big smile on his face. "Nice."

And that's how the game went on. Points were traded back and forth. Everyone was on their edge of the seats, not wanting to miss the next point. Briella and Jeremiah won the first set 21-19.

The second set had a different feeling. Team Briella was trailing 5-10. The girl didn't know how they were trailing by 5 points. She was getting distracted. That's what's happening. The more she saw Conrad and Belly being happy, high fiving each other, frustrated her, annoyed her. All she wanted to do was go over there and wipe that stupid smile off her friend's face with her fist.

Eventually the score shortened to 6-10, 7-10, 8-10, and before everyone knew it, it was 18-14, Team Briella leading. 3 more points, Briella thought.

3 more points to prove to not only herself, but to Conrad she didn't need the boy. He can have Belly for all she cares. She didn't need him.

Briella served the ball over the net. Belly received the serve. Conrad prepared to set the ball for the girl. Briella was playing back row defense. She was getting into position to prepare to dig Belly's spike. Well she would have if it didn't land right in her face.

"Fuck." Briella yelled, falling down to the sand because of the impact. Her cheek burned like hell, she wouldn't be surprised if there was a huge bruise tomorrow. And her nose felt broken.

"Shit Brie." Jeremiah immediately ran over to the girl. "Let me see." The boy looked at the girl's cheek to see if it was ok.

"Little Brie." Her dad came to her side. "Does it hurt?"

"Yeah, like a bitch."

"Brie I'm so sorry." Belly apologized.

"Yeah sure."

"Look it was an accident." Belly tried to defend herself. 

Briella rolled her eyes. "Like how asking Conrad to be on your team was an accident."