Arrival

I arrived at house with Ashton to find mom pacing left-right in the hallway. She turned to look at us and then released a sigh of relief. She came closer to us and asked Ashton

"Did you had dinner"

He shaked his as no.

"Then go freshen up, we will have dinner"

Ashton nodded and went to washroom. After he left mom asked me

"What happened?"

I explained each and every bit of what I saw, and then asked her which girl he was talking about. Before mom could tell me Ashton came and we started having dinner, not letting him get the idea of what we were talking about.

We had dinner silently and went to our respective rooms. After reaching the room, as I was preparing to sleep, I got reminded of the question I asked mom earlier.

Wanting the answer of that question I went to mom's room and knocked on the door but there was no reply. Since the door was open, I entered the room only to find it empty. There was a mess of papers, reports on the bed.

I sighed, I never knew she was so messy. To help her, I started stacking up the papers from the bed untill there was something unusual, a paper that was wet from droplets.

I held it up in my hands, noticing it regarded brain tumor but what more surprising was the patient's name was
Ashton Calloway!

I was surprised that two people with same first name and last name as well exist. Of course this isn't about the Ashton I know. This can't be.

I thought assuring myself but something kept bothering me. Just then mom exited the restroom and entered the room  with her red puffy eyes.

Her eyes widened looking at the paper in my hands. She panicked and hurriedly snatched it,  nervously smiling at me.

"What's it, honey?"

"Mom, I saw that report. The patient's name is Ashton"

"What's wrong with a patient having a name 'Ashton'?"

"It was Ashton Calloway actually."

"Even if it was Ashton Calloway, what's the problem?"

"And the report had tears on it"

Mom looked at me speechless. I immediately held her hands and asked again.

"Mom please tell me about the reports. Is it about the same Ashton I know."

"Is this about him?"

I carefully asked her again. To my fear she slowly nodded, sitting on the bed helplessly .

"Mom please...."

I pleaded sitting on my knees in front of her.

"He is that child who will leave us early, he is that child that is deprived from each and every kind of happiness and love and now is also deprived of a long life."

"What....."

I heard my voice.

"He has been suffering from brain tumor since last two years. we can only pray that it gets cured by medication, if we have to perform surgery then there are only ten per cent chances of his survival."

"You asked me right, which girl he was talking about? It's you.".

" Do you remember when you used to live in the hills with your father. There was an orphanage nearby and you always used to visit there. "