Unleashed (Part 1)

The sharp tip of a needle catches the glare of the overhead light. With a steady hand, Dr. Deaton lowers a syringe to a small terrier held still on the table by Scott.

The dog's owner, a young man named Kyle, watches with noticeable anxiety,"It's not going to hurt him, is it?"

"Just a little," Deaton tells him," But, to be honest, I usually find it's the owners..." He quickly jabs the needle in. The dog barely blinks while Kyle draws a terrified breath,"...who feel the most pain."

Kyle lets out an embarrassed laugh. Scott picks the dog up off the table, helping him back to the floor.

"All right, we'll let you know if we find any parasites in the sample. But my guess is he probably just ate something he shouldn't have," Deaton says.

Gently petting the dog as Kyle leashes him, Scott notices the name tag: BULLET.

"Cool name," Scott compliments.

"He's got two brothers at home named Beretta and Trigger. Military family," Kyle explains.

Bullet rolls to his back for Scott, exposing his stomach in a submissive pose.

"Guess he knows who the Alpha is."

Scott gives a nervous laugh. He doesn't see Deaton also react to Kyle's coincidental choice of words, but with a look more thoughtful than amused. A look of concern.

Realizing he's still holding the syringe, Deaton turns and drops it into a bin marked hazadorus.

The door to Kyle's car clicks open. He unleashes Bullet and waits for him to jump into the back seat.

"Let's go, buddy," He calls out, but the dog won't move. Even when Kyle gives him a nudge,"Okay, this part usually happens before we get to the vet."

Bullet responds with a soft whine. Finally, Kyle picks him up and puts him on the seat. But the moment he reaches to close the door, the dog darts out, racing into the lot.

"Hey!" He shouts, running after him.

Change Of View

Scott pulls the lid off a container marked Bullet and prepares the sample to dilute it. But then he pauses,"Hey Doc, I think I found something."

Deaton steps in to look over his shoulder,"Rinse it off."

As Scott works, Deaton grabs a tweezer. He uses it to pick up a small, white berry from the sample.

"What is it?" Scott asks.

"Definitely poisonous. For the dog, and actually, you as well."

"Wolfsbane?" Scott guesses.

"No. Mistletoe."

Change Of View

A shadow falls across the alley just beyond the Clinic's parking lot. Kyle tentatively approaches, looking about

"Bullet?"

A scrape turns his head to a dumpster sitting against the wall. Kyle slowly kneels to take a look underneath. Among the shadows, he spots the slightest movement.

"There you are. Come on, little guy."

He taps the pavement, trying to coax the dog out.

"C'mon, Bullet!"

With a breath, he finally reaches underneath the dumpster, groping about. Trying to grab hold of the dog when, Kyle snaps his hand back with a cry of pain.

"Son of a bitch. Did you just bite me?"

He looks at his trembling hand, blood on the palm. When he glances up, however, he discovers an unsettling sight...