Battlefield (Part 1)

Fingers wrap through and around the worn threads in the net of a lacrosse stick. Backpack at his feet, an unusually pensive Stiles absentmindedly tightens the knots on the head of the stick.

"You know, when you're drowning, you don't actually inhale until right before you're about to black out. It's called voluntary apnea," Stiles states, thinking of the way Gerard must have held Matt down under the water.

Stiles pulls a knot on the lacrosse stick tighter and tighter,"It's like no matter how much you're freaking out, the instinct to not let water in is so strong, you won't open your mouth until you feel like your head's exploding."

Flashback

Deputies string police tape around the site of Matt's drowning while Stilinski watches a coroner zip up a body bag.

"But when you finally do let it in, that's when it stops hurting. It's not scary anymore. It's actually kind of peaceful."

"Are you saying you hope Matt felt some peace in his last moments?" Morrell asks Stiles.

End Flashback

Stiles glances up to Ms. Morrell,"I don't feel sorry for him."

"Can you feel sorry for the nine year-old Matt who drowned?"

"Just because a bunch of dumbasses dragged him into a pool when he couldn't swim doesn't mean he's allowed to kill them off one-byone. And, by the way, my dad said they found pictures of Allison on his computer. Not just her. Matt Photoshopped himself into them. Stuff like them holding hands and kissing. Like he'd built this whole fake relationship. So drowning might have sent him off the rails, but the dude was definitely riding the crazy train," Stiles replies.

Flashback

As the body bag is lifted up to be taken away, Stilinski kneels to look out over the water.

"One positive thing came out of it, though. Right?" Morrell questions.

The reflection of something metallic and shiny glints off the water. Stilinski turns to find a hand holding out his Sheriff's badge. With a soft smile of pride, he takes it.

End Flashback

Stiles's eyes focus on the threads of the lacrosse stick,"Yeah, but it still feels like there's something wrong between us. Like there's this tension whenever we talk. Same thing with Scott."

"Have you talked to him since that night?"

"Not really. He's got his own problems to deal with..."

Flashback

Pulling a new hoodie out of a Macy's shopping bag, Scott slips it on and then grabs his backpack. When he steps into the hallway, he hears a door click closed.

"Mom?" He asks, approaching her door, he leans in to listen. Unable to see her standing on the other side, he can still hear the beating of her heart,"Mom? We're going to have to talk about this eventually."

Melissa puts her hand on the knob. But can't seem to turn it.

"Okay. I'm going. Love you," Scott tells her, holding still, hand at the door, fingers lightly touching it as if trying to make some kind of contact with his mother.

Finally, he turns to leave while Melissa gently rests her cheek against the door, listening to his receding footsteps.

End Flashback

Morrell cocks her head, trying to gauge Stiles's reactions through the netting of the lacrosse stick.

"No, I'm pretty sure he hasn't talked to Allison either. But that's more her choice, I think."