Chapter 36

Beep-Beep. Beep-Beep. Beep-Beep.

I groaned internally as I heard my alarm fill the room.

Beep-Beep. Beep-Beep.

As I arose from my sleepy haze, I began to connect the dots. The beeping was coming from the left of me, but my alarm is in the bedside table to the right. Unless I have magically switched round positions in the night, I had no other explanation.  Also, I swear my alarm was “Beep. Beep. Beep-Beep. Beep.”

Summer, stopped debating the sound your alarm clock makes and open your eyes to find out, a clever, impatient part of my brain grumbled.

Well that would have been an easier of finding out. I tried to obey the command, but my eyes would not open, I started to panic, thinking that this is a mean trick someone has played on me.

As I started to panic dangerously, a door opened (thank God for my four other senses- although Taste has taken a back seat in this scenario) and someone entered, walking slowly to the right side of my bed.

The beeping seemed to have lessened with their presence without me even realising it. With my eyes failing to work, I trusted in my never-stopping mouth to help me, but that too refused to co-operate.

I tried other parts of my body, arms, legs, toes even nose, but they all seemed to be ignoring me. Making a hypothetical sigh (as it seems I wasn’t in complete control of my lungs either) I turned my attention to the person who was near, hoping for answers.

They let out a heart-breaking sigh, like they are breathing away tears. Immediately I found myself wanting to comfort this person, as I felt their pain balling up on the tip of my stomach.

They seemed to be resting their head in their hands on my bed (well done ears, you are good at this hearing thing) and confusion filled me. What was wrong?

If I had the capability to do it, I would have jumped as far as Mexico as the person broke the heavy silence in the room.

“Hello Sleeping Beauty.” It was a boy’s voice, laced with pain and loved. My heart constricted at his voice and my heartbeat increased, much to my embarrassment. Sleeping? Beauty? Me? My confusion grew tenfold as I listened attentively.

“Still feels stupid talking to you, but hey, you would have laughed.” He let an uneasy, gruff laugh of his own. His voice sounded familiar, both to my head and my heart and I strained my eyes once again to open to look upon this boy.

He then seemed to drop his act of being ok and grabbed my hand and brought it to his lips. The feelings inside of me stirred at his touch and breath on my hand. I focused all my energy on trying to move the hand he held but to no avail. Am I dreaming? I thought.

“Summer, please wake up. I’m so sorry. This is my entire fault and I have caused you so much damage and I know I was being selfish but I just want to see your smile and your eyes again. I am so sorry. I should have believed you and I couldn’t believe I said those things to you.  Oh God.” He choked up again and grabbed my hand tighter with both of his, warming up my hands, which seemed to be colder than usual.

“You missed my birthday. And Christmas. You are gonna flip when you find out.” He continued laughing nostalgically, still holding a deep sadness that I wanted to clear. He knew me. But I don’t know him. Do I? My panic started to rise in my throat but my mouth could not change it into sound. Instead I was trapped inside this shell in a dream. This must be a dream.

He rubbed soft circles into my palms as he calmed his breathing. It felt wrong witnessing this emotional breakdown when I didn’t know him and not being able to react. The feeling in the pit of my stomach, so much that I wanted to scream out, but again I was not able to.