Brotherly love

Patrick

I entered Romeo's room to find him straightening up.

He didn't look at me as he wiped his eyes. "Did you need something?"

"Yeah, I'm wondering why you're holding onto guilt over something Camille did."

Romeo's face snapped in my direction. I noticed his cheeks stained with tear streaks.

"Because Camille wanted to get even with me for what I didn't to Sloane."

"Romeo, Rafe told us the truth."

Romeo clinched his fists and tightened his jaw.

"Why are you taking responsibility for what they did?"

"Because it's my fault." Romeo glanced at me.

"How is someone coercing you into having sex with them your fault?"

Romeo stared at me with pressed lips.

I crept towards Romeo. "Did you tell Sloan no?"

Romeo averted his eyes.

"Romeo. Did you tell Sloane no?"

Romeo's silence was deafening, and I know about deafness.

"Sloane said if I didn't have sex with her, she would tell everyone that I was a limp dick."

"What?"

Romeo rubbed his forehead and face. "Sloan said people would laugh, and no girl would date me because who would want a guy that can't perform."

"That's not a reason to have sex with someone."

Romeo's face snapped in my direction. "Do you have any idea what it's like to be a virgin and have someone doubt you? To comment about your sexuality when you like girls."

"But there's no rule that says you need to prove your sexuality to people."

"You don't understand!"

"Then explain it to me."

"Girls throw themselves at me when I don't ask for it. When a girl pursues me, and I turn them down, I'm the schmuck."

"You can't help who you like or don't like."

"But it doesn't help when someone uses your inexperience against you."

"Then be honest with people, admit fault, and take responsibility for your actions. Don't take responsibility for other people's actions."

Romeo knitted his brows.

"Camille chose to get even by using me. She chose to use your situation to hurt me. She chose to cheat on me. That makes her selfish and an asshole."

Romeo's brows lifted.

"People are quick to judge a guy when he cheats or does wrong, but they ignore that women do the same thing. Why is it okay for a woman to cheat or use someone, but a guy is a dick?"

"It's not," someone said.

We turned to see Val and Rafe enter Romeo's bedroom.

"You make it sound simple," Romeo told Val.

"Because it is. People complicate things," Val said.