Monday surprises

Patrick

I met with the professor before class to find out what I needed. I sat and waited in the professor's office.

A few minutes later, an older woman strolled into the office. "Are you Patrick Harper?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Follow me."

I grabbed my bag and followed the woman. She strode through the hallways with her shoulders back and her head held high. We entered a lectured hall, and I glanced around.

"The school board terminated the professor's position."

My eyes widened, and my jaw dropped. "Wait. What?"

"The benefactors discovered an affair between the professor and student."

I stared at the woman. What the hell?

"Mr. Harper, you will oversee the class until we can find a suitable replacement."

"But I don't have a teaching degree."

"But you understand literature, don't you?"

"That's not the point."

"I checked your credentials when you applied for the teacher assistant position. You helped other instructors while taking online classes. This position is no different than from what you have done. The syllabus is available online, along with the required materials. You'll find everything that you will need."

"But."

"I suggest you familiarize yourself with the course before the students arrive." The woman turned and left.

What the hell? I don't know the first thing about teaching. I contacted the one person who would know. The phone rang until someone answered.

Hello?

"Oh, thank God."

Patrick?

"You need to help me. I applied for a teacher's position, and the school fired the professor."

Okay, take a deep breath. Now, log onto the classroom computer.

I walked to the desk, set my bag down, and logged on. I clicked on tabs until I came to the professor's instructions. "Okay, now what?"

There should be a list of student names for attendance. You want to check each student that arrives.

"Got it."

Next, you want to check the syllabus and print copies for every student.

I clicked and sent the syllabus to print. I glanced to see paper coming out of the printer.

Now, print out the lesson plans for the class.

I did as the person told me. "Now what?"

Follow the syllabus and lesson plan. The concept of teaching is to make learning enjoyable for the students.

"How do I do that?"

Improvise because learning starts with the teacher. Good luck. Patton hung up.

Yeah, good luck to me.

******
Rowan

Sage and I stopped for coffee, then headed to school. Once we reached the campus, I searched for my class. It didn't take me long until I found it and found a seat. I sat down as the professor had his back turned to us. I didn't realize the school had young professors.