Returning home and celebrating a birthday

Patrick

The semester ended, and we packed up to head home. Attending school away from home wasn't bad, but I missed home. There's nothing like the comforts of your bed and room.

The trip took three hours, but we pulled into the driveway. The front door whipped open as Ma sprinted towards us. Once we got out of the car, she flung herself at us.

"I missed you boys," Ma said in her death grip.

"Yeah, and we miss breathing, too," I said.

Ma released us as Dad strolled over to us.

"Getting slower in your old age," Romeo told Dad.

"Son, I can still beat the hell out of you. Keep it up," Dad said.

We snickered.

"Okay, everyone, get settled. We did someone rearranging," Ma said.

"No, you did the rearranging while ordering me around," Dad said.

"But we have a new house guest."

Dad rolled his eyes. We grabbed our stuff and headed to our bedrooms. After dropping off my bags, I made my way to Leokadia's room and found two beds opposite. I walked over to Rowan and wrapped my arms around her from behind.

"I'm trying to unpack."

"You can unpack later."

Rowan turned around in my arms and wrapped her arms around my neck. "Oh?"

"Yeah." I leaned in and kissed her.

It was good to be home.

********
Rafe

After getting settled, Ma and Dad planned a barbecue for my birthday. Hopefully, it doesn't rain like it did last year. That sucked.

My parents invited our aunt, uncles, kids, and grandparents. Leokadia invited her friends. We had a full house. On a bright note, Uncle Gabe cooked.

"I got the cake!" Grandpa entered the kitchen, carrying a cake box. He set it on the island and lifted the lid.

"Is it Cherry chip?" I asked.

"Of course. Each of you gave a favorite cake flavor."

Nana glanced at the cake. "Who cares? It's cake."

Grandpa rolled his eyes. I chuckled. A few minutes later, Leokadia and Rowan walked into the kitchen with Sage and Bailey.

"Where's Reese?" Pat asked.

"That dipshit is hanging out with Liam," Sage said.

I knitted my brows and walked away.

*******
Patrick

I pulled Rowan aside. "Please tell me that Reese didn't  choose to hang out with Liam instead of coming to Rafe's birthday."

"I wish I could."

I sighed.

"Pat, I can't tell Reese who to hang out with. It's not fair or right."

"I know."

Rowan knitted her brows. The last thing you want is a disaster on your birthday. Val and Romeo's birthdays were prime examples of shit going south.

*******
Reese

Liam and I hung out at his house when my phone beeped. I saw messages from Rowan, Sage, and Bailey.

"What's wrong?" Liam asked me.