A birthday with a cruel prank

Patrick

After my birthday was Romeo's birthday, since his birthday fell on April Fool's Day, we usually pull a prank. Except for this time, someone pulled a cruel joke, which we didn't see coming.

Romeo revived the obligatory birthday phone call from Ma. Our parents and Marty were arriving later to celebrate Romeo's birthday.

We were trying to figure out a prank to pull on Romeo. We had an idea until someone knocked on the front door.

Casper answered it. "Christ."

We turned to see Sloane and Camille standing at the front door. My body tensed as Camille glanced at me.

"Get out of my way," Sloane told Casper.

"Yeah, I would rethink whatever you're thinking," Casper said.

Sloane pushed Casper out of the way and strolled into the house. Romeo said nothing, and neither did we.

"What the fuck?" Val's voice boomed from upstairs.

The vibrations from the floor alerted me that he was running down the stairs. He marched towards Sloane and Camille.

"Hello, Valentine." Sloane smirked.

"Who let you dogs out of your cages?" Val asked them.

"Good behavior will get you released, you half-wit," Camille said.

"Shut your mouth before I shut it for you." Val narrowed his eyes at Camille. "You're nothing but a boil on the butt of humanity. How would your probation officer feel to know you violated your restraining order?"

"We're leaving but not before I give Romeo his birthday gift," Sloane said.

Val's jaw clenched.

Sloane looked at Romeo dead in the eye. "I didn't lose the baby. I got rid of that abomination." Sloane smiled and arched her brow.

Romeo's face fell.

"Who would want to carry your demon seed and have a reminder of you?" Sloane asked Romeo.

"Get out," Val said in a low voice.

"Happy birthday, you fool." Sloane and Camille started for the door.

Camille stopped and turned to me. "Demarco was a better lay than you." A smirk formed on Camille's lips.

I averted my eyes.

"That's enough!" Val whipped the door open and shoved Sloane and Camille out. He pulled out his phone and walked away.

I didn't need to ask who Val called.

We looked at Romeo. He walked past us, ran upstairs, and slammed his door shut. No one said a word. What can you say when your past demolishes you on your birthday?

********
Rowan

Leokadia, the girls, and I got things for Romeo's birthday when Pat texted me. I read the text and tried to hide my shock.

"What did lover boy want?" Sage asked me.

Leokadia and the girls looked at me.

"Pat wanted me to know his parents were on their way." I forced a smile, but the situation bothered me.

*******
Romeo

I locked my door and sat on my bed as Sloane's words sunk in. Val knocked on my door and tried to talk to me, but I didn't want to talk to anyone. Why bother? It wouldn't change things. Sloane ruined my birthday.